SWIFT Update August 5, 2021
Review Vouchers to Prepare for Hard Close
In preparation for the upcoming hard close, agencies should ensure fiscal year 2021 transactions are fully processed in SWIFT. For Accounts Payable, agencies can run the M_AP_GBL_EXCEPTION query to see a complete list of vouchers with exceptions. At year end, we recommend including the entire fiscal year (i.e., Accounting Dates from 7/1/2020 to 6/30/2021) when running this query. After hard close, agencies will not be able to process transactions with Accounting Dates prior to July 1, 2021.
Agencies should also be completing regular voucher maintenance including fixing, closing, or deleting vouchers in recycle status, voucher build errors, budget exceptions, match exceptions, or vouchers that have been denied including journal vouchers. Voucher maintenance is usually more difficult after hard close.
To assist with voucher maintenance, there are several queries agencies can run:
• M_AP_GBL_DENIED_VOUCHERS - vouchers that have been denied
• M_AP_UNAPPROVED_VOUCHERS - vouchers that have been denied or pending approval
• M_AP_GBL_RECYCLED_VCHRS - vouchers in recycle status
• M_AP_MMB_VOUCHER_BUILD_ERROR - interface vouchers that failed voucher build
• M_AP_UNPAID_VOUCHERS - vouchers that are unpaid
• M_AP_GBL_UNPOSTED_JOURNAL_VCHR - unposted journal vouchers
• M_AP_GBL_BUD_EXCEPTION - vouchers with budget exceptions
• M_AP_GBL_MATCH_EXCEPTIONS - vouchers with match exceptions
Please see the Accounts Payable Quick Reference Guides for helpful information on deleting and closing vouchers in SWIFT.
Reminder: Respond to Problem Reports
Agencies need to respond quickly to encumbrance certification and appropriation problem reports.
Encumbrance Certification Reports
• Agencies must cancel all encumbrances for the fiscal year unless the agency head certifies that goods were purchased or services were rendered by June 30, 2020 (MS 16A.28).
• Agencies must certify encumbrances by completing and returning the certification report to Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB).
Appropriation Problem Reports
• MMB continues to send them out every Monday.
• These reports identify appropriations that are over-obligated, over extended, or have open requisitions (pre-encumbrances) or anticipated transfers.
• Agencies must resolve these conditions before hard close on August 20, 2021.
Update to the 2021 Agency Annual Schedule
Processing payments against FY 21 field purchase orders and blanket orders has been updated to a deadline date of 8/13/2021. Agencies must close or cancel any open blanket orders and process FY21 obligations using FY22 funds after this date.
Date Module Function Action
8/13/2021 PO Fiscal Year Close Deadline for Agencies to process BFY field purchase orders (FPO)
8/13/2021 AP Fiscal Year Close Deadline for Agencies to process payments against blanket purchase orders (BPMs and APKs using PLACEHOLR supplier)
The updated 2021 Agency Annual Schedule is available on Minnesota Management and Budget's Budget and Accounting Instructions webpage.
Handling Item Substitutions for Catalog Punchout Orders
When you place an order through the Catalog Punchout process, SWIFT records detailed item information for each line on the purchase order. The detailed information includes Supplier Item information cross-walked to SWIFT Category, Unit of Measure, and Unit Price.
IMPORTANT! To keep SWIFT in-sync with the Item information on the purchase order line with what is received, you cannot change the purchase order line information on punchout orders. When a supplier offers a substituted item, create a new punchout order with the substituted item information. Accepting a substitution without creating a new order will cause issues when matching and processing payments. NEVER accept a substitute on the current purchase order.
Steps to take when accepting substitute items:
1. When offered a substitute item from a supplier, reject the offer to have the item shipped with the current purchase order. Let the supplier know you will send a new purchase order for the substitute item.
2. Cancel the purchase order line for the item that is not available. Make sure to re-source the requisition so funds are moved back correctly. Cancel the requisition line and budget check the requisition. Please view the Cancel a Partially Dispatched Requisition Line quick reference guide with the steps to complete this process.
3. Create a new punchout requisition and purchase order for the substituted item.
SWIFT Training and Resources
The SWIFT training team is offering online training through webinars, one-on-one sessions, and video tutorials.
- Quick Reference Guides and Training Videos: Please check the Training and Support Resources page for the quick reference guides and training videos/ You will find reference guides covering all modules on SWIFT. We are adding new training videos in the most commonly used modules.
- Webinars: We are offering modified online versions of our classroom training. They are shorter and meant to provide basic demonstrations of the SWIFT modules. If you are newer to SWIFT, please consider taking the Introduction to SWIFT: Navigation webinar before enrolling in a module-specific webinar.
- One-On-One Sessions: If you would like one-on-one training on a SWIFT module not offered through a webinar, please email SWIFT.Project@state.mn.us to request a one-on-one session.
To find and enroll in SWIFT webinars, open the Self Service or Administrative Portal and select the ELM tile. On the Learning Management page, select Find Learning on the left menu. On the Find Learning page, enter “SWIFT” in the Description field and choose Search. Seats are available in the following webinars:
Strategic Sourcing, Part 2: Analyze and Award Events
Aug 11, 2021
9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Overview of Creating Purchase Orders
Aug 24, 2021
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Introduction to SWIFT Navigation
Sept 8, 2021
9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Introduction to SWIFT Reporting
Sept 15, 2021
9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
SWIFT Help Desk
Contact the SWIFT Help Desk for any questions, concerns or issues you have with SWIFT:
651-201-8100, option 2 or by email SWIFTHelpDesk.MMB@state.mn.us Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; closed holidays. When emailing the SWIFT Help Desk, be sure to include all details regarding the issue.
Information to include with your message:
- Issue Description
- Business Unit
- Module (Accounts Payable, Purchase Orders, etc.)
- Transaction ID (Voucher ID, PO ID, etc.)
- Error Message Print Screen
- Additional assistance can be found on the SWIFT Training Guide page.
SWIFT Update Mailing List
The SWIFT Update is sent to the SWIFT Newsletter subscription list. Use the links at the bottom of the page to subscribe or unsubscribe to the SWIFT Newsletter subscription list.
Printing the SWIFT Update
- If you are experiencing issues printing this update, download a PDF version and print that version