Launching 2023-2024 Emerging Leaders Institute (ELI) and Senior Leadership Institute (SLI) Applications
Enterprise Talent Development (ETD) is excited to share an updated and streamlined application process organized by five easy-to-follow phases. Training, HR, and Leadership teams that are reviewing applicant submissions should use this guide as support through the application process.
This year, each application will be in an accessible PDF format. Your agency has control over your application process and how you distribute the applications.
Phase One: Getting Connected
Join the ELI and SLI Applications Teams Channel to stay connected with ETD and manage your agency’s applicant data.
Complete this access request form to ensure everyone on your agency’s application review/applicant support teams is a member of the channel. You must complete this form to gain access to private folders and save applicant files. You can also use the form to let ETD know who from your agency should retain access, who should be removed, and who needs to be added. If you do not have any access changes from last year, you do not need to complete the access request form.
Phase Two: Setting Your Agency’s Application Deadline
Applications are officially open to the enterprise as of May 1, 2023. Your agency’s approved applications must be submitted to the Application Teams Channel by 4:30 p.m., June 14, 2023.
Set an application deadline for your agency that allows enough time for applicants and application review teams to do their work thoughtfully. Contact ETD before June 14 via email or the Application Teams Channel when you’ve completed your internal process. Your agency’s application deadline must be before June 14. ETD will not accept new applications after June 14.
ETD recommends an application deadline of June 1 for each agency. This allows about four weeks for applicants to respond to prompts and request recommendation letters, and about two weeks for approval committees to review submissions.
Phase Three: Informing and Supporting Applicants
1. Share the application form.
This year, each application will be in an accessible PDF format. ETD has provided fillable PDF applications to each agency’s Human Resources and Learning and Development departments. The prompts on this PDF cannot be altered. Agencies are allowed to request additional information from applicants separate from the PDF application (such as proof of annual training completion or work examples.)
- Links to application forms:
2. Encourage applications.
- Promote the programs. Promotion is a collaborative effort between leadership, engagement, and communication teams. Ensure everyone at your agency knows about these development opportunities, how to apply, and when their application is due. Use this template to customize a promotional message for your agency.
- Share the ELI and SLI Application Process Guide. We’ve created an application process and information guide to help your applicants stay informed and stay on track.
- Use these tips to motivate applicants!
3. Provide program details.
Program details for the Emerging Leaders Institute (ELI) and Senior Leadership Institute (SLI) can be found in ETD's course catalog. Share this webpage with your teams!
- Program schedules
- ELI Cohort 31 will meet every other Tuesday, and will be virtual or ½ virtual and ½ in-person based on majority preference, September 2023 – March 2024
- ELI Cohort 32 will meet every other Wednesday with a few exceptions, and will be ½ virtual and ½ in-person, September 2023 – March 2024
- ELI Cohort 33 will meet every other Friday with a few exceptions, and most sessions will be virtual, September 2023 – March 2024
- SLI Cohort 13 will meet every Friday, September 2023 – December 2023
- Program costs
Remind applicants that they must follow your agency’s procedure for encumbering funds for FY24. Most applicants should be able to ask their supervisors for assistance.
4. Highlight your agency’s application deadline.
- Ensure applicants (and application review teams!) are aware of your agency’s application deadline. Reminder: you set your agency’s application deadline (See Phase Two above.) Your agency’s application deadline must be before June 14.
- Work with your communication teams to send reminders as you approach your agency’s application deadline.
Phase Four: Reviewing Applications
Your agency has control over your application review and approval process. ETD encourages you to allow enough time for everyone on the review committee to reflect on each applicant submission.
ELI and SLI programs are unique opportunities with big career impact – be intentional with your recommendations. ETD is looking for employees who can bring their diverse backgrounds and unique experiences to these cohort-based programs to nurture future leaders in state government.
Phase Five: Submitting Approved Applications
After completing your review process, save approved applicant files to your agency’s private folder within the ELI and SLI Applicant Teams Channel.
- Add approved applications to your agency’s folder using the following file naming convention:
- For ELI applications: Last name_first name_ELI Application
- For SLI applications: Last name_first name_SLI Application
- Add supporting documents for approved applicants to your agency’s folder using the following file naming convention:
- For ELI letters of recommendation: Last name_first name_Letter of Recommendation
- For ELI letters of support (individuals): Last name_first name_HR Support Letter
- For ELI letters of support (agency): Agency name_HR Support Letter
- For SLI letters of recommendation: Last name_first name_Commissioner Letter
While there is no limit to how many applicants each agency can recommend, please be thoughtful with your final selections. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Promote the programs. Ensure everyone at your agency knows about these leadership development opportunities, how to apply, and when their application is due to your agency’s leadership/applicant review committee.
- Talk it out. If you know someone who would be a good fit for a leadership program such as ELI or SLI, talk to them directly about the potential you see! Sometimes it just takes a few words of encouragement for someone to make a move.
- Write it down. Do your part in the application process by writing a letter of recommendation – especially if you are in a supervisory or senior leadership role.
- Help review. Many applications are rejected due to inarticulate responses or incomplete applications – offer to review responses for your colleagues and share the ETD Course catalog for more skills development opportunities.
- Give it another try! ELI and SLI are highly competitive programs, with many participants submitting multiple applications before getting accepted. Additional spots have been opened in past years, meaning more chances for acceptance. Don’t let your colleagues (or yourself) give up!