skip to content
Primary navigation

Social Security Advocacy Services

Do you need help applying for Social Security disability benefits?

Social Security disability benefits can be paid to adults who have a physical or mental health condition that prevents them from working full time or at all. Disability benefits may also be paid to children who have a physical or mental health condition that limits their ability to function.

If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, sometimes the Social Security Administration will notify you that they will be reviewing your case. They do this to review your medical condition or conditions to determine if you continue to have a disabling condition.

Applying for federal Social Security disability benefits can be a challenge. Minnesota Department of Human Services Social Security advocates are available to help you file an application, appeal a denied application, and make sure that you are applying for all benefits for which you are eligible. 

How our advocates can help

DHS Social Security advocates will:

  • Provide services free of charge
  • Answer your questions
  • Conduct an initial screening and intake assessment
  • Act as your Authorized Representative with the Social Security Administration 
  • Help you fill out forms and talk with Social Security representatives
  • File an appeal if your application is denied
  • Represent you at hearings
  • Represent you in a continuing disability review
  • Represent you at the appeals council.  

Who is eligible for this service?

Social Security Advocacy Services are available to children or adults between the ages of birth and 65 who:

  • Have a disability which has lasted or will last for 12 months or longer; and
  • Live in the state of Minnesota; and
  • Are currently homeless OR at risk for homelessness.  

If you are unsure if you are eligible for this service, please contact one of our advocates listed on our online directory.

Get help now

To find a Social Security advocate who can help, visit our Social Security Advocacy online directory or visit the Disability HUB MN site or call Disability Hub MN at 1-866-333-2466.

If you are deaf, deafblind, and/or hard of hearing and need help applying for Social Security Administration disability benefits, contact DHS’ Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Division by email at, or by voice or through your preferred relay service at 651-431-5945 or 800-657-3663. You can reach the division by videophone at 651-964-1514.

About Social Security disability benefits

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) are federal disability benefits that provide income to people who cannot keep a job because of a disability. Benefits can be a critical step toward ending homelessness and promoting recovery.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) provides a monthly cash benefit to children and adults who are disabled with limited income and resources. 

If you qualify for SSI, you may also qualify for Medical Assistance, Minnesota Supplemental Aid and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

Social Security Disability Insurance provides a monthly cash benefit to adults based on a person’s Social Security earnings record. In general, the more a person worked and paid in Social Security taxes, the higher their benefit will be. In general, individuals who receive SSDI for 24 months will be eligible Medicare health insurance.

back to top