The State Medical Review Team (SMRT)
The State Medical Review Team (SMRT) makes disability determinations for people not certified disabled by the Social Security Administration (SSA). SMRT completes disability determinations according to disability criteria defined by the SSA. The county, tribal or state servicing agency submits a referral to SMRT on behalf of the person to start the process.
A SMRT certification of disability is one part of establishing eligibility for:
- Medical Assistance (MA), Minnesota’s Medicaid program
- MA under the TEFRA (Tax Equity Fiscal Responsibility Act) Option
- Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD)
- Home and community-based disability waiver programs (CAC, CADI, BI)
- Family Support Grant (FSG)
SMRT certification of disability for other reasons:
- To be excluded from managed care enrollment
- To enroll in Special Needs Basic Care (SNBC)
- Age 65 and older to establish a pooled trust
- Establish an asset transfer penalty exception
- Creating certain trusts
To learn more about the programs and services offered for disabled persons living in Minnesota, see the webpage for Programs and services / Minnesota Department of Human Services (mn.gov).
At the end of the certification period, SMRT may complete a continuing disability review (CDR). Following SSA criteria, SMRT collects and examines current medical evidence to determine whether the severity of the person’s impairment has improved since the last review.
Searchable document library (edocs)
DHS-3883-ENG (PDF) State Medical Review Team (SMRT) Education and Work History Form
DHS-6124-ENG (PDF) SMRT Authorization to Release Protected Health Information
DHS-6125-ENG (PDF) State Medical Review Team (SMRT) Adult Disability Worksheet
DHS-6125B-ENG (PDF) State Medical Review Team (SMRT) Adult Continuing Disability Review Worksheet
DHS-6126-ENG (PDF) State Medical Review Team (SMRT) Children's Disability Worksheet
DHS-6126B-ENG (PDF) State Medical Review Team (SMRT) Children's Disability Review Worksheet
DHS-3549-ENG (PDF) General Consent/Authorization for Release of Information
Legislative Reports for the last 3 FY:
DHS-8080-ENG (PDF) Activities of the State Medical Review Team 2020
For system related inquiries or assistance, contact the County Relations Resource Center (CRRC) at 800-366-7894 or 651-431-3930.
SMRT received 6,928 referrals in fiscal year 2021:
- The average SMRT client was 28 years old.
- 70% did not have health care coverage at referral.
- 33% had an active application for SSA disability benefits.
- 16% were in the hospital in the three months before they were referred to SMRT.
- The average length of time from referral to a decision was 88 days.
- The average number of phone calls handled by SMRT staff each month is 4,541.
Of the 5,929 FY 2021 referrals, SMRT:
• Certified 4,235 (72%)
• Denied 599 (10%)
• Pending 240 (4%)
Applicants withdrew 855 referrals (14%).
For accessible formats of this information or assistance with additional equal access to human services, send email to DHS.email@example.com, call 877-627-3848, or use your preferred relay service.
Find information about how to request a MnCHOICES Assessment at:
DHS-7283-ENG 7-17-20 (state.mn.us) (PDF)
If you have questions or need assistance completing your forms, call the SMRT hotline or contact your disability analyst.
SMRT hotline: 651-431-2493 or 800-235-7396
SMRT fax: 651-431-7457
Mailing address: PO Box 64248, St. Paul, MN 55164-0248