skip to content
Primary navigation

Interest charging on past due support

Beginning Aug. 1, 2022, Minnesota's child support program will no longer charge interest on past due child support in accordance with a law passed in 2021. The new law only affects parents who have past due child support. If you are a parent who owes or is due past due support, you do not need to take any action on your case because of this law.  

If you owe past due support, Minnesota statutes still require you to pay the interest that accrues on your case before Aug. 1 and the rest of the past due support. The last time the child support program will add interest to past due child support will be Aug. 1, for interest accrued through July 31, 2022. Starting in Sept. 2022, parents who owe past due support should not see additional interest charges. 

If you are to receive past due support, you will not lose the interest that accrues before Aug. 1, 2022 and the program will continue to try to collect it with the rest of the past due support. The program will not remove interest charges that accrue on past due support through July 31, 2022.

Before Aug. 1, 2022, Minnesota Statute 548.091 allowed for interest to charge on past due child support, confinement and pregnancy expenses, or genetic testing fees. In 2021, Gov. Walz signed a bill eliminating interest charging on child support debt. Visit the Office of the Revisor of Statutes website to read the new statutory language.

back to top