Healthy aging, preventing falls
Chronic diseases, such as diabetes, arthritis and heart disease, are among the most common health problems in the U.S. Having a chronic condition can make life challenging but you can learn to live well.
Regular physical activity is one of the most important things an older adult can do to be healthy. It can prevent many health problems that seem to come with age. It also helps your muscles grow stronger so you can keep doing your day-to-day activities without becoming dependent on others.
Falls are a common problem for people as they age. Falls can happen anytime, anyplace and to anyone. Falls can occur while doing everyday activities. Studies find that you can decrease your chance of having a fall by following some simple falls prevention suggestions and ideas
Healthy aging classes
Community healthy aging classes that help people manage chronic health conditions, live a healthy life and prevent falls are available across Minnesota. You can attend if you:
- Are age 60 or older
- Are concerned about your health
- Want to take action to be healthy.
Some of the classes offered in various communities are:
- Living Well with Chronic Conditions
- A Matter of Balance
- Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance
- Diabetes Self-Management Program
- Chronic Pain Self-Management Program
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program
- Arthritis Foundation Tai Chi Program
To find out about classes or learn more about healthy aging, you can: