Non-recurring adoption expense reimbursement instructions
After the court has granted the adoption, you may be reimbursed up to $2000 for adoption-related costs. You may not claim reimbursement for any expense paid from other sources, programs, or funds. Allowable out-of-pocket expenses are listed below:
- Agency adoption fees (including health and psychological expenses, if not covered by your health insurance)
- Agency fees for supervision of the adoptive placement
- Transportation (include mileage and dates of travel)
- Food, lodging and other related items for the child and/or adoptive parents when required to complete the adoptive placement or the legal adoption process
- Court costs
- Attorney fees
- Replacement birth certificate fees.
After the court has granted the adoption, please send the following:
- A short letter listing the above expenses for which you are claiming reimbursement
- Copies of all itemized bills (not all fees are reimbursable through this program) plus receipts of payment or canceled checks for any of the above expenses for which you are claiming reimbursement
- A copy of the Adoption Decree.
Please note that you have to submit your NRAE reimbursement request within 21 months of your child's adoption decree date.
Your expenses and receipts will be reviewed. You may expect payment of authorized expenses about eight to twelve weeks after your request is received.