Medical Assistance (MA) coverage for home and community based services through a waiver program
Medical Assistance (MA) coverage of home and community-based services waiver programs is available for people who need extra help to stay at home instead of moving to a nursing home or other medical facility. These programs include:
- Brain Injury (BI) Waiver for people with acquired or traumatic brain injuries who need the level of care provided in a nursing facility that provides specialized (cognitive and behavioral supports) services for people with brain injury or neurobehavioral hospital level of care.
- Community Alternative Care (CAC) Waiver for chronically ill and medically fragile people who need the level of care provided in a hospital.
- Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) Waiver for people with disabilities who require the level of care provided in a nursing facility.
- Consumer Directed Community Supports (CDCS) for people enrolled in the Alternative Care or Elderly Waiver programs.
- Developmental Disabilities (DD) Waiver for people with developmental disabilities or related conditions who need the level of care provided in an Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Developmental Disabilities (ICF/DD).
- Elderly Waiver (EW) for people age 65 or older who require the level of care provided in a nursing facility.
Home and community-based services waiver programs help people get coverage for things like additional medical supplies and equipment, help with daily living activities, case management, counseling and other services not covered through regular MA.