skip to content
Primary navigation

Past due child support help

Help is available for parents to avoid or overcome obstacles to paying child support and past due child support, also called arrears. Those experiencing difficult circumstances, such as unemployment, underemployment, large arrears balances or incarceration, can call their county child support office to see if they can get help.

Counties may reduce permanently assigned public assistance arrears. Counties consider and approve these requests according to state policy and procedures.

Either parent may request a settlement of arrears on their case. The child support worker will conduct an evaluation to:

  • Identify the reasons for the arrears
  • Determine the parent's current ability to pay
  • Develop a solution to address the arrears, which may require a payment from the parent.

If the parent has more than one child support case, the parent should contact each of the county child support workers handling their cases.

back to top