skip to content
Primary navigation

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Employment and Training Program (SNAP - E and T)

The goal of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Employment and Training (E&T) program is to help people prepare for and become employed. Participants receive services from an employment services provider in your area, as assigned by your county.

People who apply for cash and food assistance may be enrolled in this program if you do not qualify for other cash assistance programs. Your worker will tell you if you must participate in this program. This program may not be available in every county.

Eligibility and exclusions

SNAP participants between age 18 and 50 who do not receive cash benefits from other public assistance programs may be required to participate in SNAP Employment and Training programs.

You may be excused from participating if you: 

  • Are caring for young children or an incapacitated household member 
  • Receive unemployment benefits 
  • Participate in a chemical dependency treatment program 
  • Work 30 or more hours per week 
  • Participate in an approved training program 
  • Have a permanent or temporary disability.


Food benefits

The amount of food benefits you get is based on your income, expenses and the number of people in your household. The date your benefits will begin depends on the date the county receives your SNAP application.

Employment services
Each participant will attend an orientation to learn more about program services. Your worker will then help you complete an individual assessment and an employment plan. Depending on needs, you may take part in:

  • Job-seeking training, such as resume writing and interviewing skills
  • Group and individual job search activities 
  • Literacy or other adult basic education 
  • English language training 
  • Short-term vocational or technical training 
  • Job placement services 

If needed, help with transportation or other supportive services will be provided. If you fail to comply with the requirements of your employment plan, you are subject to sanctions and could temporarily or permanently lose food benefits.

More information

For more information, contact your worker or local county or tribal office.

back to top