skip to content
Primary navigation

Working with other states

Every state must provide child support services to a parent living in their state, regardless of where the other parent lives.

If one parent lives in another state, the Minnesota child support office may:

  • Take the next step on the case
  • Request the help of the other state's child support office
  • Respond to requests for help from other states.

Every state has a child support office. They all must follow federal child support regulations and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, which:

  • Allows only one current support order at a time
  • Requires a tribunal to determine the one controlling order if there is more than one order for support
  • Defines which state may modify an order
  • Allows for income withholding for child support across state lines.

More information about other states' child support laws and procedures is in the federal Intergovernmental Reference Guide.

back to top