Vehicle modification reimbursement instructions
You may be eligible for the reimbursement of costs incurred for vehicle modification. Vehicle modification is limited to modifications to meet a child's special needs upon which eligibility for a permanency benefit was approved. Reimbursement is limited to once every five years per family. Vehicle modifications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Door widening
- Lifting devices
- Wheelchair securing devices
- Adapted seats
- Handrails and grab bars
- Door handle replacements
- Air conditioning required due to a child's medical condition.
You must obtain prior authorization from the DHS Permanency Support staff. The following documentation is required before prior authorization can be granted:
- A letter from you with the following information:
- Name of child for whom vehicle modification is requested
- Name of adoptive parent(s)
- Adoptive parents' address, phone number and email address
- Description of the vehicle modification
- A short description about your child's special needs, and why the vehicle modification is necessary.
- A letter from a medical professional stating how the vehicle modification will meet your child's special needs
- A denial letter from the social service agency in your county stating that you have been denied services for the vehicle modification, and the reason for the denial.
- Two detailed bids for the vehicle modification.