skip to content
Primary navigation

Parents in jail or prison

Parents face unique challenges while incarcerated and as they transition back to the community.

Being in prison or jail can make paying child support difficult or impossible. But the parent's child support obligation does not stop. Child support orders remain in effect, monthly payments are expected and past due support, called arrears, can accrue.

If you go to jail or prison, tell your county child support worker. The child support office may be able to help.

Only a court order can change a child support obligation. Information about changing orders applies to many changes in income and family circumstances, including inability to pay due to incarceration.

Here are some frequently asked questions about support while a parent is incarcerated.

back to top