skip to content
Primary navigation

Court orders to establish parentage

If your county has an open child support case

The child support office may:

If your county does not have an open child support case for you

  • Either parent can ask the court to establish the child's legal father. See the Minnesota Judicial Branch Self-Help Center for more information.
  • You can represent yourself in court or have an attorney represent you. The court may provide an attorney if you cannot afford to hire one.
  • When determining parentage, the court may also determine custody and parenting time (visitation) and order child support.
  • Either parent can apply for full child support services and have the county child support office help establish parentage.
back to top