Medical support and health care coverage
Medical support means providing health care coverage for a joint child by carrying or contributing to the cost of:
- Health care coverage through an employer or other group plan
- An individual policy purchased in the private market
- Public coverage (Medical Assistance)
- Unreimbursed and uninsured medical expenses.
In Minnesota, every child support order must include health care coverage for the children. A parent's obligation will include medical support and will be part of their child support case. The court order will specify:
- If a parent is ordered to provide or maintain health care coverage for the children
- The cost of premiums and how that cost is divided between the parents
- How costs not paid by health insurance (Unreimbursed and uninsured medical expenses) will be divided and collected by the parents
- Reasons, if any, the obligation to provide health care coverage will shift from one parent to the other.