skip to content
Primary navigation

Credit bureau reporting

The child support office can report to credit bureaus when a parent owes past due child support, also called arrears. Banks and other creditors can limit or deny credit to parents based on information the child support office reports.

The child support office can report a parent to credit bureaus if both the following are true. The parent:

  • Is ordered to pay support by either a court or child support magistrate
  • Owes arrears of at least three times the monthly support obligation or, for arrears-only cases, the amount of arrears is at least one dollar.

At least 30 days before it reports the arrears to credit bureaus, the child support office sends the parent a Notice of Intent to Report Arrears. The child support office will continue to report information to credit bureaus until the arrears are paid in full.

Disputing arrears reported to the credit bureaus

The parent has 21 days from the date of the notice to contest the start of credit bureau reporting. To contest the reporting, the parent must request an administrative review from the child support office listed on the notice. The parent's request must be made in writing and include the reason for the review.

If the parent does not contest credit bureau reporting within 21 days, the child support office will report the arrears to three major credit bureau agencies:

  • Equifax
  • Innovis
  • TransUnion

If the parent believes the credit bureaus are reporting the information inaccurately, he or she may contact each credit bureau to dispute the accuracy of the information.

Parents can dispute the accuracy of information on their credit report online or in writing directly to:

Equifax Information Services, LLC
P.O. Box 740256 
Atlanta, GA 30374-0256

Attn: Consumer Assistance
P.O. Box 1640
Pittsburgh, PA 15230-1640

TransUnion LLC
Consumer Dispute Center
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

Credit bureaus notify the child support office of the dispute. The child support office will respond to the credit bureaus to correct the report if it is wrong.

If the parent believes the information reported by the child support office does not reflect the child support office's records, the parent may submit the Credit Reporting Direct Dispute Claim Form to the Child Support Division.


The child support office cannot report the parent to credit bureaus if either of the following is true:

  • The case does not meet the criteria
  • A court order prohibits credit bureau reporting.


State laws can be found on the Minnesota Office of Revisor of Statutes website.

  • 42 United States Code, section 666 (a)(7)
  • 15 United States Code, section 1681s-1
  • 15 United States Code, section 1681 et. seq.
  • Minnesota Statutes, section 518A.685
  • Minnesota Statutes, section 13.05, subdivision 4(b)
back to top