skip to content
Primary navigation

Federal annual fee

The child support office may charge a fee for services. Federal law requires states to collect $25 every year for eligible child support cases. This $25 fee is in addition to other fees, such as the cost recovery fee.

Who pays the fee?

The state child support office will charge the custodial parent the $25 fee each year if both of the following are true:

The child support office collects this fee once a year. It is redirected from support collected from the parent owing support before the payment is sent to the other parent. A parent who has more than one eligible case may pay more than one federal fee.

The child support office uses the federal fiscal year, October 1 through September 30 of the following year, to determine when it has processed $500 in support payments in an eligible case.

Is the fee ever waived?

The child support office will not charge the fee if any of the following are true:

  • The child, while living with the custodial parent, received cash assistance under a public assistance program, including:
    • Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
    • Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)
    • Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
  • Minnesota is enforcing a nonpublic assistance case for another state.
  • The case is an income withholding-only case, including cases in which the child support office is only collecting spousal maintenance.

Custodial parents who applied for child support services and do not receive public assistance can ask to have their case closed if they do not want to pay the federal annual fee.


State laws can be found on the Minnesota Office of the Revisor website.

back to top