skip to content
Primary navigation

Qualifying for the enhanced rate and/or stipend

Which benefit applies to whom?

  • Enhanced rate: A worker qualifies for the enhanced rate when the worker has completed qualifying trainings and provides services to a person who receives PCA services or participates in CDCS or CSG and either:
    • Is eligible for 12 or more hours of state plan PCA per day
    • Has the home care rating EN
  • Stipend: A worker who has completed the qualifying trainings qualifies for the stipend when he or she works with a person who is a participant in PCA Choice, CDCS or CSG. The stipend is available to the first 1,500 workers to qualify before June 30, 2021.

Ways to qualify for the stipend and/or enhanced rate

Option 1
For a worker with a current RN, LPN, CNA or HHA license or certificate

  • Course A + License or Certificate. Note: A worker must keep his or her license or certificate current in order to continue to qualify for the enhanced rate.

Option 2
For a worker who lives within 50 miles of a qualifying in-person training

  • Course A + One course from Category B + One course from Category C

Option 3
For a worker who does not live within 50 miles of a qualifying in-person training

  • Course A + 3 courses from Category C

For workers who received a stipend before July 1, 2019, to qualify for a second stipend

You must complete both of the following requirements:

  • One course from Group B (workers cannot use the same certificate they used to qualify for the first stipend unless taking a recertification course). If you qualified for the stipend the first time using Option 1 described above, you do not need to take a Group B course but will still need to satisfy the Group C requirement to receive a second stipend.
  • Two courses from Group C. Workers cannot use the same Group C courses used to qualify for a first stipend to qualify for a second stipend.

Once you have completed training

To submit your materials, please go to the Minnesota Direct Support Worker Training website, sign up and follow the instructions.

Recertification process

If you qualified for the enhanced rate using a license or certification, your eligibility expires when that license or certificate expires. Your expiration date is listed on the certification letter you received when your training requirements were verified. You are responsible for submitting proof of continuing eligibility (i.e. an updated certificate or license or proof you completed another qualifying training) before your eligibility expires in order to remain eligible. Submit proof of your recertification to Once verified, you will receive an updated certification letter. Give your updated certification letter to your provider agency or the person you provide services to in CDCS or CSG.

Qualifying courses

back to top