Efforts underway to extend SNAP benefits through February
The Minnesota Department of Human Services is monitoring the federal government shutdown. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits are affected by the federal shutdown. SNAP participants should:
- Turn in any required paperwork as soon as possible.
- Be aware that February SNAP benefits for most participants, including MFIP food benefits, will be issued early, between Jan. 19 and 20.
- Plan your food budget knowing that these benefits will be the only benefits provided before March.
- Apply for SNAP if you are not already receiving it but need those benefits.
- Continue to use your EBT card through February. Most grocery stores, convenience stores, farmers markets and other authorized SNAP retailers are still able to accept SNAP benefits.
- Contact the Minnesota Food HelpLine, 1-888-711-1151 or www.mnfoodhelpline.org if you need help with food.
For more information, see the department’s Frequently Asked Questions document about the shutdown’s impact on benefits. Please watch this website for additional information as it becomes available.