skip to content
Primary navigation

Tort Recovery Unit

Situations when Medical Assistance will recover costs

Federal and state laws require the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) to recover costs that the Medical Assistance (MA) program pays for its members under certain circumstances. This is separate from Medical Assistance estate recovery and liens.

The DHS Tort Recovery Unit recovers the cost of MA benefits in the following situations:

  • personal injury 
  • tort (infringement on rights leading to civil liability) 
  • workers' compensation 
  • medical malpractice 
  • auto accident 
  • other third-party injury cases 

Additionally, we recover related subsistence payments on behalf of Minnesota counties. Subsistence benefits are non-medical public benefits and are generally administered by counties, including Diversionary Work Program (DWP), Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), General Assistance (GA), Emergency Assistance, and Group Residential House (GRH).

Contact us

We can help you find answers to the following:

  • MA enrollee questions about the Medical Service Questionnaire (DHS-2237A), the Accident Injury Report (DHS-7336) or the Work Injury Report.
  • MA enrollee or attorney questions about personal injury, tort, workers' compensation, medical malpractice, auto accident and other third-party injury cases.

You can reach us at:

Minnesota Department of Human Services Tort Recovery Unit / Benefit Recovery Section
P.O. Box 64994
St. Paul, MN 55164-0994
Fax: 651-431-7431

Warning about email privacy:
Information that is transmitted by email over the Internet is not secure and can be intercepted and read by other Internet users. The Minnesota Department of Human Services recommends that you do not use email to send private or confidential data about yourself or others unless it has been encoded or encrypted. In addition, DHS will not use email to respond to messages that contain private or confidential data about an individual unless we can ensure the security and integrity of the information, or we have the individual's consent to transmit such unsecured data. Also note that any email submitted to DHS may be forwarded internally to direct it to the appropriate recipient.

back to top