Anoka-Metro Regional Treatment Center
The Anoka-Metro Regional Treatment Center (AMRTC) is the state’s largest psychiatric hospital. Overseen by the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS), the hospital operates 110 beds on a secure campus in Anoka, MN.
AMRTC provides inpatient psychiatric care to adults who require treatment in a hospital setting. Most patients have been civilly committed by a court as mentally ill. Many are under more than one civil commitment. Patients have highly complex medical conditions and can exhibit volatile behaviors. Many are facing criminal proceedings. Lacking the necessary clinical expertise, secure facilities and support staff, community hospitals cannot or will not treat these patients.
AMRTC is a secure facility, which means the building and treatment units are locked. On average, patients stay in the hospital about 100 days before discharge. In fiscal year 2019, AMRTC provided treatment to 374 patients.
Admission to AMRTC is by referral only. Most referrals are provided by County social service agencies, courts, community hospitals and mental health providers. AMRTC is a statewide treatment facility and patients can be admitted from anywhere in Minnesota.
Referrals are screened by DHS's Central Pre-Admission office and must meet admission criteria.
Contact the Central Pre-Admission office
The Central Pre-Admission office is staffed around the clock. Reach them at:
- Toll free: 1-866-966-2337
- Twin Cities Metro Area: 651-431-5337
- Regular visiting hours are from 6 to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Weekend and holiday hours are from 1 to 3 p.m. and from 6 to 8 p.m.
Additional arrangements for visits at other times can be made through the patient's treatment team.
To protect patients and staff, there are many rules for visiting patients at AMRTC. See our full Visitor Information Sheet. Here are some important highlights:
- Visitors must sign in and present a government-issued or employer-issued photo ID.
- Visitors must empty pockets and leave personal items (including coats, bags purses, cellphones cameras, wallets, etc.) in a locker before entering the visiting area.
- All items brought in as gifts will be searched thoroughly. Food and beverages are not allowed.Only approved items will be given to patients.
- All visitor requests, regardless of the relationship to the patient, are reviewed and authorized by the patient and the treatment team.
- Visits from children under age 16 must be pre-arranged with the patient's treatment team. Visits are limited to 30 minutes and must be directly supervised by hospital staff
- Any visit that requires supervision must be scheduled with the treatment team 48 hours in advance
- No more than four visitors are allowed in any party
Visitors must also abide by rules for appropriate attire and behavior. Visitors who are unable or unwilling to follow the guidelines will be asked to leave.
Staff may choose to deny or end any visit if they feel it interferes with the safety and well-being of the patient, staff or others.
Visiting Questions or Concerns
If you have questions or concerns about the visiting guidelines, contact AMRTC's Consumer Representative at 651-431-5116.
3301 North 7th Avenue
Anoka, MN, 55303