DHS Modernization Strategy and Assessment
DHS contracted with Gartner to help define a strategy and roadmap for implementing its vision for systems modernization in support of integrated service delivery. Gartner is a global research and advisory company with a dedicated Public Sector Health and Human Services (HHS) practice. The Gartner HHS team has done similar assessments in other states.
The assessment was a collaborative effort that included interviews, documentation reviews, facilitated workshops and an iterative review of deliverables with DHS, MNIT, county and tribal nation partners.
The assessment started in September 2020 and was completed in June 2021. It consisted of five steps:
- Define drivers and imperatives to ensure the assessment is informed by what’s important to DHS and its partners from both a business and technology perspective.
- Conduct an environment assessment to understand the strengths and challenges of current efforts.
- Perform an alternatives analysis to methodically evaluate options in modernization strategies to support integrated service delivery.
- Define a go forward strategy and develop a set of recommendations based on that strategy.
- Build an actionable, achievable roadmap based on the recommendations.
For additional details on the history, approach, scope and next steps, view the assessment overview.
Following the assessment, DHS contracted with Garter to help plan for the Integrated Service Delivery (ISD) Product Office, a foundational component of the Go Forward Strategy. The engagement started in August 2021 and was completed in December 2021. The primary deliverable from this work is the ISD Product Office Charter that will help guide efforts to establish the office.