DHS Licensing Information Lookup
The Department of Human Services' Licensing Information Lookup is an online search tool that displays public information for all DHS-licensed programs.
The information available includes frequently requested public information for licensed programs, including: child care programs, group homes for people with disabilities, and a range of other services for children and vulnerable adults.
You can search for information about a licensed provider by name, license number, program type, city, county or ZIP code.
You can sign up to receive updates by email when new documents are posted,
Changes to Licensing Lookup
The department is making changes to the way licensing and maltreatment information is displayed on the Licensing Information Lookup.
The following changes are being made:
- All new and existing licensing action documents (formerly “negative action orders”) and Maltreatment Investigation Memorandum (formerly “Investigation Memorandum”) will be labeled with more specific, plain language names. Specifically, the documents will be labeled with the specific name of the licensing action taken (e.g., Fine Order, Conditional License, License Revocation, etc.).
- Licensing information, licensing actions, and maltreatment investigation documents will only be posted to Licensing Information Lookup for four years.
- Documents posted more than four years ago will be removed from Licensing Information Lookup, but will continue to be available to the public if requested.
- For family child care providers, a new feature will provide a summary of licensing reviews and investigations on the provider’s profile page.
Why are these changes being made?
The department has displayed public licensing information on all DHS-licensed programs since 2010 on Licensing Information Lookup. We made changes to meet several new posting requirements in federal law and to respond to provider feedback about how public information is displayed on our website. The changes support our goal to provide information about licensed programs in plain language and in an easy to understand format.
What will be included in the new feature about child care monitoring?
Information about licensing reviews and investigations of child care programs will be displayed, including:
- Date of the visit
- Type of visit (i.e., licensing review, licensing investigation, etc.)
- Whether violations are found during the visit
- How a violation is corrected (including when a violation is corrected on-site or appealed).
When will the changes be in place?
Many changes took effect May 11, 2018. The summary of licensing reviews and investigations will be added to child care centers' profile page in late 2018 or early 2019. At which time, correction orders for child care centers will no longer be posted.
Where can I find more information about the changes to the way that child care licensing information is displayed?
As required, the department developed guidelines for how we display public licensing information for child care programs. The guidelines for posting child care licensing information DHS-7698 (PDF) describe the way public licensing information for child care programs is currently displayed on our website, the changes and improvements we are making, and when they will take effect. It also summarizes the stakeholder input we received before making the changes.