skip to content
Primary navigation

Income limit

If your annual income is below these amounts based on your household size, you may be eligible for child care assistance.

Number of people Annual income before taxes
2 $40,156
3 $49,605
4 $59,053
5 $68,502
6 $77,950
7 $79,722
8 $81,493
9 $83,265

How does the Child Care Assistance Program work?

  • The Child Care Assistance Program can help pay child care costs for children.
  • Child care costs may be paid for the time you are working, looking for work, going to school, or participating in activities in your approved Minnesota Family Investment Program or Diversionary Work Program employment plan.
  • There is no time limit on how long you may receive child care assistance, as long as you meet the requirements and your income is within the limits for your family size.
  • Your child care must be provided by a legal provider who is at least 18 years old.
  • To receive child care assistance to help pay child care costs you must be a parent, stepparent, legal guardian or eligible relative caregiver.

You can fill out an application on-line at Contact your county human services office or local contracted agency for more information about applying for child care assistance.

To check the status of your application or case, contact your county human services office or local contracted agency.

Child Care Assistance Program waiting list

Some agencies have a child care waiting list for families who haven’t received Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) or Diversionary Work Program (DWP) benefits recently. If your agency has a waiting list, contact that agency to be added to the list.

Need help finding child care?

You can search online or call 888-291-9811. The search is available in multiple languages and provides:

Additional information about the Child Care Assistance Program

Other child care resources for families

Early learning scholarships

Scholarships help families afford high-quality child care and early education programs. For more information, call 888-291-9811 or visit the Minnesota Department of Education’s Early Learning Scholarships page.

Post-secondary child care grant program

Visit the Office of Higher Education website or check with your school’s financial aid office.

Child care programs for military families

For more information about any of these child care programs: contact the Child Care Aware hotline at 800-424-2246, or visit the Fee Assistance/Respite page on the Child Care Aware website.

Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start and Early Head Start programs deliver services to children and families in core areas of early learning, health and family well-being while engaging parents as partners. Contact the Minnesota Department of Education at 651-582-8412 for more information, or search for a Head Start or Early Head Start program near you.

Child care programs are only some of the services you and your family might be eligible to receive. Others may include health care, food support, housing and income assistance.

health care icon food-nutrition-rev housing icon income-rev

back to top