Occupational Employment Statistics Data Tool Guide
by Bettsy Hjelseth
In 2018 we rebuilt the Occupational Employment Statistics data tool, the oldest in our suite of tools and the second most heavily used. The new tool allows users to make all selections on one page. It also allows users to choose regions from a Minnesota county map. The tool provides side-by-side comparisons by region of employment and wages for occupations.
This article provides a step-by-step guide on how to navigate the new OES tool.
- Go to https://mn.gov/deed/data/data-tools/oes/
- Click on the green “Use the data tool” button.
- Select as many regions as you want either from the list or the map. Click the “Go” button below the list of regions to apply your selection.
- Look in the table below the region selection. You will find wages for Minnesota, the U.S., and each of the regions you chose for all occupational groups.
- Use the black arrows in the left column to see detailed occupations.
- Click the “Employment” tab in the black bar above the table to see employment for these regions and occupations.
- To see more data on a specific occupation, click on the occupation name. This will bring you to the Detailed Occupation page for that occupation where you can click on different regions in the “Other Regional Data” to view detailed wage percentiles. You can also link to the Career and Education Explorer tool from the region name in the top box on this page for an in-depth exploration of the occupation.
Here are some other ways to use the tool:
- If you know the occupation you want displayed, you can type it into the “Search for an Occupation” box and click “Search”. Then choose a specific job from the dropdown menu and click “Search” again.
- You can download all of the OES data into an Excel spreadsheet by clicking the “Download” button on the upper right side of the results table.
We always find feedback useful so please email us any thoughts, including complaints, that you have about this tool, and we will do our best to make useful changes.