skip to content
Primary navigation

More places to find help

incomeEmergency Assistance (for families with children) and Emergency General Assistance (for adults without children in the household) provides financial support for households facing unexpected emergency expenses (such as eviction, utility shutoff, or losses from a fire). The availability of Emergency Assistance or Emergency General Assistance depends on the county or tribe where the person applies.

For families with children

The Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) provides both cash assistance and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance food benefits.  Families receive employment services to help return to work and are eligible for child care assistance

How much people receive in both programs depends on how many people in their household qualify for the assistance. Many families eligible for MFIP and not living in federal subsidized housing (such as Section 8) also receive an additional MFIP housing assistance grant.

Read more

For adults without children in the household

General Assistance provides a $203 a month to individuals and $260 a month to couples if all of the following conditions apply to their circumstances:

  • No children in the household
  • Little or no income
  • Serious illness, a disability or other specific circumstances that limit their ability to work.

Read more

Lus Hmoob | Pусский | Af Soomaali | Español | Tiếng Việt

For adults with disabilities

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) provides up to $81 a month for single adults and up to $111 a month for couples who are receiving federal Supplemental Security Income because of age or disability. Some people older than 65 or disabled and not receiving Supplemental Security Income because their income is just over the limit might also be eligible for Minnesota Supplemental Aid. The Minnesota Supplemental Aid Housing Assistance helps people with disabilities who pay more than 40 percent of their income toward housing costs so that they may have a choice about where to live.

Read more

Refugee cash assistance

Refugee cash assistance (RCA) provides monthly cash benefits to single adults and married couples without minor children who have arrived in the United States with humanitarian protection. The monthly benefits are $460 for one person or $647 for a couple — for up to eight months after the date of arrival in the United States or after the date the eligible status was granted. RCA is available to people who meet income eligibility and have one of the following immigration status:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum
  • Iraqi or Afghani Special Immigrant Visa
  • Victim of human trafficking
  • Amerasian
  • Cuban or Haitian entrant

Read more


Income assistance programs are only some of the services you and your family might be eligible to receive. Others may include health care, child care, housing and food support.

health care icon child care assistance icon housing icon food support icon

back to top