Office of Enterprise Sustainability
On August 1, 2016 the Office of Enterprise Sustainability (OES) was established to help state agencies to make choices that will improve outcomes through the implementation of best practices in their agency.
OES will provide agencies with the assistance needed to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and water usage,
- Increase energy efficiency and recycling, and
- Support better coordination of sustainability efforts across state government.
- Develop sustainability plans to reduce costs associated with operations while improving Minnesota’s environment
Sustainability is an organizing principle being instilled in everything our State Government does to support the citizens of Minnesota.
State government agencies must embrace a culture of sustainability in order to:
- maintain our economic viability
- be socially responsible, and
- preserve our natural resources for future generations.
Primary Responsibilities for OES:
- Assist Cabinet Level Agencies to develop Plans to meet Statutory Requirements or Executive Orders in the area of sustainability
- Share best practices from both inside and outside of government
- Assist agencies with finding the subject matter experts to ensure sustainability plans contain all elements required for success
- Assist agencies in finding resources required to execute sustainability plans
- Track the results at the agency/state level to provide transparency concerning agency/state progress toward established goals
- Make the entire state sustainability program easier for state agencies so they can be successful
The primary areas of focus are:
- Greenhouse Gases
News You Can Use
How Minnesota plans to cut state government energy use by 30 percent
4 Tips to Improve Electric Vehicle Battery Range this Winter Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
California did it. North Carolina did it. Can Minnesota government go green? Star Tribune, December 12, 2017
Living Green 365: Resolutions, reuse, and the big idea | Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
January 30, 2017
2017 Chevy Bolt EV electric car wins North American Car of the Year award | Green Car Reports
January 9, 2017
Here's why 2017 will be the year of the circular economy revolution | GreenBiz
January 5, 2017
City Mayors Push for Major Increase in EV Production | NGT News
January 11, 2017
Ford extends ride-sharing scheme as part of 'City of Tomorrow' vision | edie.net
January 10, 2017
Solar, energy efficiency part of Minnesota National Guard push for net zero | Midwest Energy News
January 4, 2017
Camp Ripley Solar Website
- Watersheds and sidewalk salt - a fun music video produced by UMN professors and students on the effects of excessive sidewalk salt and water quality.
Examples of Agency Best Practices
Director, Office of Enterprise Sustainability