University of Minnesota Agreements
While a different contract template is used with the University of Minnesota, a contract with the University of Minnesota should follow the same rules and processes as any other Joint Powers Agreement and should be completed accordingly.
A Certification Form must be submitted and approved before proceeding with a contract with the University of Minnesota that exceeds $25,000. The purpose of the certification is to (1) document your research that there are no state employees who could perform the services required (2) document your efforts to make all governmental entities who may potentially respond, aware of your need for a service or to accomplish a task. If the University of Minnesota is the only governmental entity that can legally provide the service or perform the task, there is no need to consider the response of other governmental entities. This is an agency-based decision that should be considered carefully and made clear on the Certification Form.
- Develop Scope of Work and Deliverables
- Send Scope of Work and Deliverables to U of M
- If the project exceeds $25,000, submit a Certification form to OSP for review and approval before proceeding to a contract
Negotiation and Contract Drafting
- Determine negotiation approach, prepare, and conduct negotiations
- Draft contract using the U of M Contract template
- Send draft contract to U of M for review
- Send draft contract to Agency Contract Coordinator for review
- Send draft contract to Attorney General’s Office for review and comment if negotiations altered the Intellectual Property clause
- Encumber funds and fill in SWIFT block on contract form
- Complete 16A/16C Reporting Form regardless of whether work has started or not:
- Fill Box I if no work has started
- Fill Box II if work started before funds were encumbered
- Fill box III if work started before the contract was fully executed (signed by all parties, including Department of Administration)
- Route contract for signatures in the following order: Encumbrance, U of M, Agency, Department of Administration
- Include supporting documents with the contract when routing to the Department of Administration, such as: Certification form, 16A/16C Reporting Form, Insurance Adjustment Form, etc.
- Review signatures for legality, completeness and accuracy
- Distribute executed copies to: U of M, Agency and Project Manager
- Send written authorization to U of M that work may begin
Contract Work Completion
Template documents needed include:
- Professional/Technical Certification Form (for projects that exceed $25,000)
- U of M Contract template
All documents are available on our Secure Portal
, log-in is required.