skip to content
Primary navigation

Recent National Register Listings in Minnesota

Here are a few of the latest National Register listings in Minnesota. The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the nation's cultural resources worthy of preservation. Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering, and culture and which possess integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association.
exterior front view of St George Church
St. George Serbian Orthodox Church
April 4, 2024 Direct Link
Duluth, St. Louis County, listed April 4, 2023. St. George Serbian Orthodox Church features the Byzantine Revival Style, making it easily recognizable in the residential neighborhood of Gary in the City of Duluth. At the interior the church displays multiple icons critical to the liturgy, including the distinctive iconostasis painted by David Ericson. Established by the Serbian Orthodox, immigrant community in 1924, St. George’s continues to reflect those traditions specific that heritage and culture. Including but not limited to, services partially conducted in the Serbian language with the choir’s acapella accompaniment.
External view of Cloquet High School
Tracy Municipal Building and Armory
July 18, 2023 Direct Link
Tracy, Lyon County. Listed July 18, 2023. The Tracy Municipal Building and Armory is located in Lyon County, Minnesota, at the north edge of the community’s downtown commercial district. The building has a U-shaped footprint comprised of the original 1938 Moderne-style municipal building, located on the east side of the site, and the L-shaped 1958 armory addition to the west. Used for as an active armory until 1992 and for governmental function into the late twentieth century, the Tracy Municipal Building and Armory played important role in the recreational, political, and military affairs of the local community.
External view of Cloquet High School
Lake Park Bandshell
July 18, 2023 Direct Link
Winona, Winona County. Listed July 18, 2023. The Lake Park Bandshell, located in Veterans Memorial Park in Winona, Minnesota, was constructed in 1924. Built near the north shore of Lake Winona, the bandshell property encompasses not only the structure but also a semi-circular area that provides seating for the audience. The bandshell is a Classical Revival style, stilted spherical half dome set on a concrete platform. It is a unique example of its style and almost without peers nationally from 1924 until the present day, the bandshell has been the city of Winona’s prime outdoor venue for music and is as well used today as it was in the year it was built.
Exterior of McMichael Grain Elevator
McMichael Grain Elevator
March 24, 2023 Direct Link
Harmony, Fillmore County. Listed March 24, 2023. Built in 1879 for the A & T McMichael Grain Company, the McMichael Grain Elevator is a well-preserved example of the wooden crib-framed country grain elevator. It is also associated with the broad patterns of agricultural and transportation history, specifically the development of grain farming and railroads in southeastern Minnesota during the late nineteenth century.
Exterior of Fires Station 19
Fire Station No. 19
March 23, 2023 Direct Link
St. Paul, Ramsey County. Listed March 23, 2023. Fire Station No. 19 is located in Saint Paul near the southeast corner of Highland Parkway and Snelling Avenue South and the northwest corner of Highland Park. Constructed in 1930 the property was designed by the Office of the City Architect and served as a fire station until 1958. Fire Station No. 19 is served rapid developing Highland Park neighborhood, which was considered a remote location shortly prior to the building’s construction.
Exterior of Henry Hale Memorial Library
Henry Hale Memorial Library, Hamline Branch
January 30, 2023 Direct Link
St. Paul, Ramsey County. Listed January 30, 2023. The Henry Hale Memorial Library, Hamline Branch, more commonly referred to as the Hamline-Midway Library, was constructed in 1930 and reflects late Gothic Revival style, a type of fanciful architecture often employed for university buildings in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The construction of the library was the culmination of years of dedicated advocacy by the neighborhood, particularly the local Fortnightly Women’s Club. The Hamline-Midway Library is associated with the community’s efforts to establish regular library services in the Hamline Neighborhood and its ongoing use as a place for education.
Herman Schroeder House and Livery exterior
Herman Schroeder House and Livery
January 19, 2023 Direct Link
Shakopee, Scott County. Listed January 19, 2023. The Herman Schroeder House and Livery was constructed in 1880 in Shakopee MN. The Schoreder House was the longtime residence of Herman Schroeder, owner of the Schroeder Brick and Lime Manufacturing Company. While the identities of the building’s architect and craftsmen have been lost, the buildings continue to reflect the skill of the masons and success of the business. The house, in particular, is distinctive with its intricate brick details, including egg and dart trim, rosettes on the pilaster capitals, and a carved skirt of acanthus leaves.
John M. Poorbough Block
John M. Poorbaugh Block
January 11, 2023 Direct Link
Jasper, Pipestone County. Listed January 11, 2023. The John M. Poorbaugh Block was completed in 1889 and constructed of Jasper's signature stone, Sioux Quartzite. This building is distinguished from others in town by the level or architectural detail and notable use of red pipestone detailing. In addition to its architecture, the Poorbaugh Block is also significant as the home of the Jasper Journal the city's only newspaper, from 1917-1972.
Interior of District Number 3 school
District No. 3 School
January 11, 2023 Direct Link
Parke Township, Clay County. Listed January 11, 2023. The District No. 3 School, more commonly known as the Rollag Woodland School, is located one mile east of the town of Rollag and 8.5 miles southwest of the town of Hawley. Constructed in 1892, this ungraded one-room schoolhouse served the surrounding population until 1961.
Amhoist Tower exterior
Amhoist Tower
June 3, 2022 Direct Link
St. Paul, Ramsey County. Listed June 3, 2022. The Amhoist Tower, addressed at both 345 Saint Peter Street and 59 Fourth Street West in downtown Saint Paul, was completed in 1983-1984. The property is associated with American Hoist and Derrick Company, a major manufacturer based in Saint Paul for over a century. American Hoist had been the country’s foremost manufacturer of large cranes for more than a century and its equipment facilitated major construction projects around the world.
Frederick and Maryanna Manfred House
Frederick and Maryanna Manfred House
June 3, 2022 Direct Link
Luverne, Rock County. Listed June 3, 2022. The Frederick and Maryanna Manfred House is associated with Frederick Manfred, an important Minnesota author whose works were set in a fictional area he called Siouxland, which encompassed the four corners region of Minnesota, Iowa, South Dakota, and Nebraska and the watershed of the Great Sioux River. His house and studio situated in Blue Mound directly influenced his literary works. Furthermore, the house represents a distinctive example of organic design.
St. Olafs Norwegian Lutheran Church exterior
St. Olafs Norwegian Lutheran Church
June 2, 2022 Direct Link
Minneapolis, Hennepin County, listed June 2, 2022. St. Olafs Norwegian Lutheran Church (St. Olaf) … played in developing the Norwegian-American ethnic heritage and social history of North Minneapolis. The church is significant for its association with broad patterns of Minneapolis history including Norwegian immigration, the representation of the North Minneapolis community, and effects of institutions on neighborhood development and growth. During the period of significance, this church reflected the values and ideals of the surrounding working-class community and was representative of a strong Norwegian-American heritage.
Calvary Lutheran Church exterior
Calvary Lutheran Church
April 7, 2022 Direct Link
Minneapolis, Hennepin County, listed April 7, 2022. Calvary Lutheran Church, located at 3901 Chicago Ave, comprises a Sanctuary and Education Wing, both constructed in 1930, and a Parish House, built in 1953. All sections of the Building were designed by the prominent local architectural firm Lang and Raugland. The Sanctuary was designed in the English Gothic Revival style expressed through ornate doorways, intricate stone details around the windows, and stonework on the tower. The Education Wing and Parish House use the same architectural vocabulary although in a more subdued manner to create an architecturally unified whole. Calvary Lutheran is a leading example of their work and exhibits the hallmark features of their church designs.
Coliseum Building and Hall exterior view
Coliseum Building and Hall
March 24, 2022 Direct Link
Minneapolis, Hennepin County, listed March 24, 2022. The Coliseum Building and Hall epitomizes the commercial development of the Longfellow Neighborhood, becoming the centerpiece and anchor of the commercial area centered at this prominent streetcar intersection. Designed by L. J. Johnson the building was originally developed in 1917 with additions in 1923, 1955, and c.2000. With a successful department store, complement of professional offices, and a vibrant social hall, the Coliseum Building provided a more comprehensive offering of shopping and services than any other building at intersection. Furthermore, it retained its important role from the height of the streetcar era through the transition to automobile-oriented development in midcentury.
Street view of the Hopkins Commercial Historic District
Hopkins Commercial Historic District
January 19, 2022 Direct Link
The Hopkins Commercial Historic District is locally significant within the statewide historic contexts "Railroads & Agricultural Development 1870-1940" and "Urban Centers 1870-1940" for its association with the development of Hopkins as a regional agricultural, industrial, and commercial center from its platting as a company town in the late nineteenth century until its commercial decline in the 1970s. Through the mid-twentieth century, the commercial district served as the retail, social, and entertainment hub for residents of Hopkins and the rural areas of western and southern Hennepin County.
Woman's Club of Minneapolis
The Woman's Club of Minneapolis
January 11, 2022 Direct Link
The Woman's Club of Minneapolis at 410 Oak Grove Street is significant for its association with the national Women's Club Movement and women's roles in Minneapolis' social, cultural and civic development. A group of the city's most prominent women organized the club to encourage involvement and philanthropy in education, conservation, public health, libraries, political reform and other issues. The Italian Renaissance Revival style clubhouse is an excellent example of an urban club building, placed on a prominent location overlooking Loring Park. It includes the spaces - ballroom, dining room, lending library, and auditorium - necessary for the club's programming. The Woman's Club of Minneapolis served the social reform and cultural enlightenment causes by supporting programs and achievement that empowered women.
Church of the Incarnation
The Church of the Incarnation
January 11, 2022 Direct Link
The Church of the Incarnation, constructed in 1918, is a brick and stone church with tile roof designed in the Italian Renaissance and Romanesque Revival styles. The one-story church with raised lower level has a Latin cross plan with a large gable-roofed nave intersected by two gable-roofed transepts, a conical-roofed semi-dome at its apse, and a several-story bell tower. The centerpiece of the church’s interior design is the ornate nave and chancel, which feature barrel-vaulted and semi-dome wood ceilings; stained glass windows; a marble platform and altar with baldachin; side aisles and side chapels; and stone statues and altars. To the south of the church, a Colonial Revival-style rectory constructed in 1913 is connected to the church via the 1932 walkway. A wood entry porch with classical details is centered on the rectory’s primary west façade. The church and rectory are located at the southeast corner of the intersection of Pleasant Avenue and 38th Street West, in a residential neighborhood in South Minneapolis. The buildings have seen relatively few alterations since their construction and maintain excellent integrity.
Northern Pacific Depot
Northern Pacific Depot
January 7, 2022 Direct Link
The Northern Pacific Depot is an important physical reminder of the Northern Pacific's critical role in Fergus Falls and the surrounding area from a time when railroads provided the major form of transportation in the state. The building's construction in 1920 followed the destruction of two previous passenger depots by fire, and the destruction of a third passenger depot during the cyclone of 1919. The new depot was the Northern Pacific's most substantial building in Fergus Falls to date. Rather than frame construction that characterized the earlier buildings, the new depot featured brick and reinforced concrete construction. The up-to-date building efficiently combined freight and passenger service and served as the critical interaction point between the Northern Pacific and its customers. A number of the Northern Pacific's commercial customers developed into such large concerns that the railroad extended individual spur tracks directly to their properties. Even after passenger service ceased, freight business continued in importance until the depot closed in 1970 following the Northern Pacific's merger with other carriers to become the Burlington Northern.
back to top