Thank you for your interest in doing business with the State of Minnesota. To be considered for participation in the program, please complete your application on the Minnesota Small Business Certification Portal.
If your business is certified under this program, you may be eligible to participate in similar programs at the Minnesota Department of Transportation and several metropolitan agencies.
All applicants must submit the following supplemental information (as applicable):
- Complete financial statements for the business for each of the preceding three fiscal years (or since the inception of the business if established less than three years). If financial statements are not available, copies of profit or loss statements from the last three years' federal income tax returns may be submitted.
- A chronological resume' for each owner, officer, and other key personnel outlining education and employment history, including dates of occurrence.
- A profile of each owner's management responsibilities and a description of the management responsibilities assigned to other individuals.
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residency (birth certificate, current passport or documentation of permanent residency).
- For businesses that sell products, but have no inventory, a copy of the sales agreement(s) with manufacturers or authorized distributors.
- Proof of purchase, including copies of the purchase agreement, canceled checks, and bill of sale.
- Copies of equipment and facility lease agreements.
- Bank signature card and/or corporate banking authorization.
- List of all professional and business licenses held.
- Copies of the most current W-2 forms for each owner, officer and key personnel.
- A completed, notarized Personal Net Worth statement for the majority owner(s) of the company.
- If applying as a veteran-owned business, a Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs letter verifying veteran or service-connected disabled veteran status (see below).
Corporations must also include:
- A copy of certificate and complete articles of incorporation as filed with, and signed by, the Secretary of State, with file numbers.
- Copies of all signed stock certificates, front and back, issued to date, including canceled and transferred stock.
- Copy of company bylaws, including all amendments, and copies of minutes for the first shareholders and board of directors meeting. Include annual elections and minutes from the most recent meeting and all resolutions and authorizations.
- Copies of any voting agreements, shareholder control agreements or buy-sell agreements.
Sole proprietors must also include:
- Certificate of assumed name (if applicable). This document is available by calling the Office of the Secretary of State at 651.296.2803 or 1.877.551.6767 or can be ordered from the Secretary of State website.
Partnerships must also include:
- Signed partnership agreement.
- Certificate of assumed name. This document is available by calling the Office of the Secretary of State at 651.296.2803 or 1.877.551.6767 or can be ordered from the Secretary of State website.
Limited liability companies must also include:
- A copy of certificate and complete articles of organization as filed with, and signed by, the Secretary of State, with file numbers.
- A copy of the company operating agreement
Veteran-owned small businesses
Submit the online form along with required documentation to the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs to receive your verification prior to submitting the application for certification from the Department of Administration.