Energy Assistance Program
Español | Hmoob | Soomaali
The Energy Assistance Program pays towards heat, electricity, and past due water costs. Energy Assistance is free for all eligible households.
Applications for program year 2022-2023 are available.
Please note that benefits are still substantial, but have changed from last program year :
- Extra federal funding last program year allowed the Minnesota Energy Assistance Program to increase income eligibility and benefit amounts provided to households who applied by May 31, 2022.
- Starting October 1, 2022, benefits returned to more typical amounts and are lower than last year for most households. Also, income eligibility returned to 50% of state median income.
- The initial grant ranges from $200 to $1,400 per household, with an average of about $500.
- The maximum additional grant for energy emergencies (crisis) is $1,500.
- Water Assistance benefits may cover the entire past due amount.
- These changes are necessary to continue to serve households in need without an even more significant reduction in the income limits.
Find An Energy Assistance Partner
Request an application by mail
Print an application and submit it to your Energy Assistance Partner
Applications must be submitted through your local Energy Assistance Partner.
STEP 1. Find your Energy Assistance Partner (for help call 1-800-657-3710)
STEP 2. Download an application (PDF)
Contact your local Energy Assistance partner and request an application
Request an application by mail using the form below
STEP 3. Return your completed application to your local Energy Assistance partner.
STEP 4. Your Energy Assistance partner will take care of the rest.