This holiday season you can give a gift that keeps on giving for years to come with lower energy costs and savings on your utility bills. Choose gifts of appliances, lighting and electronics that carry the ENERGY STAR® label, a symbol that guarantees the product meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
ENERGY STAR gifts have the latest features, prevent energy waste and save money. Plus, they help create a cleaner, healthier environment with less pollution from power plants. From the Minnesota Commerce Department, here are a few gift ideas with the ENERGY STAR label:
- Televisions. ENERGY STAR-certified televisions offer all of the cutting-edge features and are at least 25 percent more energy efficient than standard models. According to ENERGY STAR, a home with TVs, set-top boxes, a Blue Ray player and a sound system that carry the ENERGY STAR label can save more than $165 over the life of the products.
- Tablets. ENERGY STAR-rated computer tablets use 10 times less power to stream than a game console, seven times less power than streaming directly to your television, and six times less than streaming to a desktop computer or monitor.
- Holiday LED light strings. If you're buying new light strings to decorate your home this holiday season, consider ENERGY STAR-certified LED light strings to save energy and protect the environment. An LED light string with ENERGY STAR designation uses 75 percent less energy than an incandescent light string.
- Smart thermostats. ENERGY STAR thermostats deliver what you expect from a smart thermostat, including demonstrated energy savings, reliable performance, convenience and control.
- Clothes dryers. Clothes dryers use the most energy of all household appliances. An ENERGY STAR clothes dryer uses 20 percent less energy than a standard model.
- Refrigerators. Properly recycling and replacing your old refrigerator with a new ENERGY STAR model could save you more than $50 a year on energy costs.
Learn more about savings with digital media players, laptops, clothes washers, dishwashers, air cleaners, light fixtures and more from the ENERGY STAR Holiday Gift Guide, or visit the ENERGY STAR website to learn about the many products with ENERGY STAR certification. Find more energy-efficient gift ideas at the Energy Saver webpage of the U.S. Department of Energy.
Minnesota Energy Tips is provided twice a month by the Minnesota Department of Commerce, Division of Energy Resources. Contact the Commerce Department's Energy Information Center at email@example.com or 800-657-3710 with energy questions.