skip to content
Primary navigation
Feature image for

Insurance Producers & Adjusters

Insurance agents (“producers”) and claims adjusters generally must be licensed in order to do business in Minnesota.

The information found in the sections highlighted below will help you determine what you need to do to get your license and keep it up-to-date.

Licensing Education

Approved prelicensing and continuing education courses can be found on Sircon.

Approved providers can be found on Sircon.

Resident licensees must verify their CE compliance on Sircon

  • Contact your course provider directly if you have taken a course that is not listed on your CE transcript.
    • The Department of Commerce cannot assist you with this issue. All completed continuing education courses must be uploaded by the course provider.
  • No credit will be earned if the licensee has previously obtained credit for the same course during the same licensing period.
  • A licensee will not receive credit for more than eight hours of continuing education in one day.


Notice Regarding the Technology Surcharge

Minnesota Statute § 45.24f - Effective May 2, 2016, the technology surcharge is reduced to $10.

Department of Labor Fiduciary/ Conflict of Interest Rule

The U.S. Department of Labor (“DOL”) recently announced a final rule that expands the definition of “fiduciary” under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). As a result, additional entities, including some broker-dealer agents and insurance producers, will be held to a fiduciary standard. 

Though the final rule was announced on April 6, 2016, the “applicability date” of the rule is delayed until April 10, 2017. More information about the DOL Fiduciary/Conflict of Interest Rule is available on the DOL website.

Fingerprinting FAQ

Annuity Suitability FAQ

Travel Insurance Business Entity Producer FAQ

back to top