skip to content
Primary navigation
Feature image for

Unclaimed Property

Commerce may have something that belongs to you.

Find Unclaimed Property

People lose track of their money or financial property because of a change of address, a death, or because they inherited something they didn't know about. As part of our mission to protect consumers, Commerce is committed to reuniting Minnesotans with money that has gone missing.

Unclaimed Property Delivered to the State

Each year, Commerce receives millions of dollars in unclaimed property from businesses and organizations that have lost contact with the owners. The Department is responsible for safeguarding the funds or property until claimed by the rightful owners or heirs.

Property is considered unclaimed if it is being held by a business or organization that has not had contact with the owner for a specific number of years. Common types of unclaimed property can include:

  • Dormant bank accounts
  • Uncashed checks
  • Unclaimed wages
  • Insurance claim payments or benefits
  • Stocks or bonds
  • Safe deposit boxes

Businesses and organizations are required by law to review their records and attempt to contact the owner of the property when it appears to be abandoned. If the owner doesn't respond, the property is considered abandoned. The property is then sent to Commerce so the Department can safeguard and continuously attempt to return it to the rightful owner of heirs.

Interest-bearing and other Income-earning Property

Did you claim property between March 8, 2012 and July 31, 2019?

Certain unclaimed property claimed between March 8, 2012 and July 31, 2019 may entitle the claimant to the value of that interest-bearing or income-earning property that was earned or may have been earned while in possession of the State, and may entitle the claimant to an additional payment. 

Do I qualify?  

  • Was the property you claimed from the State interest bearing prior to its delivery to the State?
  • Was the property you claimed from the State a securities-based property?

If yes, you could be entitled to payment of income delivered to the State. If you believe your previously paid claim may entitle you to additional compensation, please click the “Claim Income Now” button to complete the form. Simply send the completed form and supporting documentation regarding your claim to the Department of Commerce.

Claim Income Now

back to top
mn register to vote