skip to content
Primary navigation

Washington County Legal Referrals

Legal assistance, resources & information for Washington County

Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
Free legal help to low-income and senior citizen clients for civil (non-criminal) legal problems including family law, government benefits, housing, probate, tax, and other matters.

Washington County Law Library
(651) 430-6330
14949 62nd Street North, Room 1005, Stillwater, MN 55082
Legal help clinics for civil, criminal, and family law. Call for appointment and details.

Washington County Legal Advice Clinic
(651) 430-6330
Washington County Law Library, 14949 62nd Street North, Stillwater, MN 55082
Volunteer attorneys from the Washington County Bar Association offer free 30-minute consults at the Washington County Law Library on civil, criminal and family law issues. You must live in or have a court case in Washington County, and your income must be at or below 300% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Appointments are required.
Civil Law Clinic Hours: every other Monday, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Family Law Clinic Hours: Tuesday, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Criminal Law Clinic Hours: Wednesday, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

Tenth Judicial District Self-Help Center - Washington County Courthouse
(763) 760-6699
Washington County Courthouse, 14949 62nd Street North, Stillwater, MN 55082
Self-help center staff available to provide information and resources Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8:30 am to 11:30 am and 1:30pm to 3:00 pm. You may also submit questions to the self-help center staff via email at

Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN)
(612) 752-6677 (intake by phone available M/W/Th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
Statewide legal services available for low-income people through a network of legal clinics and volunteer attorneys. Spanish legal services available. Assistance can range from brief advice to screening for full representation depending on income level, county of residence, legal issue, and merits of the case.
Clinic assistance is available for family, civil, housing, immigration, criminal expungement, bankruptcy, LGBTQ+, and youth legal issues. Visit VLN's website for a current clinic schedule.
Phone legal assistance is also available in the following areas:
  • Administrative Law (DHS disqualifications)
  • Bankruptcy (Chapter 7, Adversary Proceedings, Student loan hardship discharge)
  • Civil (Consumer, Debtor-Creditor)
  • Employment
  • Family
  • Landlord-tenant
  • Real Estate
  • Immigration
  • Tax (State and Federal, once legal aid has declined to assist)

Minnesota Courts Self-Help Centers
Forms, videos and other information for individuals representing themselves in court. 

Legal Advice Clinics
Directory of legal clinics and Self-Help Centers across the state.
Help for low-income people with a broad range of civil (non-criminal) legal matters. Website provides information and resources on a variety of legal topics and can help connect individuals to legal aid and assistance. Live online chat help service available. 

Washington County Courthouse
(651) 430-6263
P.O. Box 3802, 14949 62nd Street North, Stillwater, MN 55082

Minnesota State Law Library
(651) 297-7651
Get help finding legal information
Room G25, Minnesota Judicial Center, 25 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55155
Our librarians can help you find legal information, court forms, and other materials by phone, email, or in person. In addition, we offer two clinics for those working on appeals: General Appeals Self-Help Walk-in Clinic - held on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 1:30 to 4:30 pm.  This is a brief advice clinic for people who are representing themselves. There is no income-qualification required for attendance. Unemployment Appeal Legal Advice Clinic - service for people who have already had a hearing with the Unemployment Law Judge and have also requested reconsideration and it has been denied. You can attend the clinic to get advice about how to proceed with an appeal to the Court of Appeals. Clinics held on the 2nd Thursday of the month and 4th Thursday of the month. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please visit our website.  

Ramsey County Bar Association Modest Fee Service
(651) 224-1775
Full representation for those who do not qualify for Legal Aid based on income. Assistance available in Twin Cities Metro counties.

Minnesota Unbundled Law Project
Directory of attorneys offering unbundled legal services (also known as limited scope legal services) that are customizable for your needs and budget. Practice areas include family; business; employment; real estate; benefits; housing; wills, trusts, and elder law; consumer protection and debt; and more. For more information about unbundled legal services, visit their FAQ.

Community Mediation Minnesota
Providing mediation and restorative justice resources to help resolve disputes involving neighbors, families, businesses, consumers, crime victims, landlords, tenants, or other matters. 

Minnesota State Bar Association Lawyer Referral
Free online lawyer search and referral service. 

Minnesota Lawyer Referral and Information Service (MNLRIS)
(612) 752-6699
MNLRIS connects persons with legal issues to one of over 200 qualified private attorneys practicing in over 50 areas of law. Referral counselors are available who can set up appointments with attorneys, provide general information about the legal process, and direct people to appropriate legal resources. MNLRIS is sponsored by the Hennepin and Ramsey County Bar Associations.

Minnesota Legal Advice Online (MLAO)
Volunteer attorneys answer legal questions via email for individuals who meet income qualifications. 

United Way 211
Dial 2-1-1
Operators available 24/7 to provide targeted referrals to legal services and resources. 

(612) 252-1200
41 N. 12th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Free clinic for low-income youth (under 21) with legal problems (family, immigration, employment, public benefits, criminal, and housing). Also offers a drop-in center.

Youth Law Project
(612) 334-5970
430 1st Ave. #300, Minneapolis, MN 55401
The Project works with children/youth from birth to age 18, and to 21 for youth in foster care. Legal assistance for low income individuals who are unable to pay a private attorney.

Children's Law Center of Minnesota
(651) 644-4438
450 N. Syndicate St, Suite 315, St. Paul, MN 55104
Free advocacy and legal representation for foster care youth in Minnesota.

School Law Center
(651) 222-6288
452 Selby Ave., St. Paul, MN 55102
Statewide Legal representation for individual students, their families and groups of students and/or families or agencies serving students and their families in all areas of education law.

Public Defender - Tenth Judicial District (Stillwater Office)
(651) 351-3700
1825 Curve Crest Boulevard West, Suite 202, Stillwater, MN 55082
Legal services by court appointment for low-income people involved in criminal and juvenile delinquency cases.

Washington County Criminal Defense Panel Program
(651) 748-9373
People charged with a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony in Washington County may get some brief legal help from a private attorney in this program free of charge.

Sealing Criminal Records to Enhance Justice - Washington County Attorney's Office
(651) 430-6115
If you have a criminal record for an offense that was prosecuted by the Washington County Attorney's Office, this program can help you determine if you qualify for expungement. If you qualify, the County Attorney's Office can help get your record sealed by the Court at no cost to you.

Neighborhood Justice Center
(651) 222-4703
500 Laurel Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55102
Criminal defense and expungement services for low-income residents of Ramsey, Washington & Dakota Counties.

Mitchell Hamline Self Help Clinic
(651) 695-7609
Warren E. Burger Library Conference Room, 875 Summit Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
Assistance for self-represented parties for criminal expungement. Appointments are strongly encouraged.

Second Chance Saturday Criminal Records Workshop
Volunteer Lawyers Network and Criminal Justice League
(612) 752-6677
University of Minnesota Urban Research and Outreach-Engagement Center (UROC)
2001 Plymouth Ave. N., Minneapolis, MN (Along bus lines 7, 19 and 32).
Monthly criminal records workshop held every third Saturday of the month from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm.

Minnesota Disability Law Center
1-800-292-4150 or (612) 332-4668 (TDD)
Free civil (non-criminal) legal assistance to individuals with disabilities statewide on legal issues related to their disabilities.
Disability Hub MN
A free, statewide, information, referral and assistance service called Disability Hub MN is now available to help people with disabilities, chronic illnesses and their representatives connect to community services.

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
Information: 1-888-NAMI-Helps (1-888-626-4435) or Helpline: 1-800-273-8255
Education, advocacy, support, and referrals for people with mental illness and their families.

JustUS Health (formerly Minnesota AIDS Project and Rainbow Health)
(612) 373-2437
JustUs Health's Legal Services provide legal advice, brief services, and direct representation for HIV–related legal matters.

Cancer Legal Care
(651) 917-9000
3503 High Point Drive, Suite 270, Oakdale, MN 55128
Cancer Legal Care provides caring and compassionate legal services at no cost to Minnesotans affected by cancer.

Tubman Family Crisis & Support Services
Crisis Line: (612) 825-0000
3111 First Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55408
Tubman addresses a variety of domestic abuse and family law issues in Hennepin, Washington and Ramsey counties.

Violence Free Minnesota (formerly Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women)
24-Hour Phone Line: (866) 223-1111
24-hour hotline for victims of domestic abuse throughout Minnesota helps connect individuals to resources and services available to them.

Standpoint (Formerly Battered Women's Legal Advocacy Project)
1-800-313-2666 or (612) 343-9842; Text Line: (612) 743-7397
Statewide program serving battered women, their advocates, attorneys and the general public in Minnesota.

Washington County Community Services
(651) 430-6455 or 1-844-711-1907
14949 62nd Street North, Stillwater, MN 55082

Hennepin County Bar Association Low Fee Family Law Project
(612) 752-6666
A part of the Lawyer Referral Service, this program is designed to allow affordable representation to the working poor statewide, with income just above the financial bracket where services are available through other legal services providers. Service is provided where volunteers and clients can be matched. A variety of conditions apply. Interested individuals should contact LRIS at 612-752-6666.

Family Law Advice by Phone - Volunteer Lawyers Network
(612) 752-6677
Low-income people can get a free 20-minute legal advice consult on family law matters from the Volunteer Lawyers Network. To schedule an appointment, call the VLN Intake Line at (612) 752-6677 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) Law Center
(612) 879-9165
Legal representation to parents, family members, Indian custodians and children, who are involved in legal matters governed by the ICWA.
Mitchell Hamline Self Help Clinic
(651) 695-7609
Warren E. Burger Library Conference Room, 875 Summit Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
Assistance for self-represented parties for the following legal issues: child support modification, dissolution/divorce, establishing custody and parenting time, and modifying parenting time. Appointments are strongly encouraged.
Office of Ombudsperson for Families
(651) 603-0058 or 1-888-234-4939
1450 Energy Drive, Suite 106, St. Paul, Minnesota 55108
Assistance with child protection matters, social service issues, and failure to comply with the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) or the Minnesota Indian Family Preservation Act (MIFPA).

Gender Justice
(651) 789-2090
200 West University Ave., Suite 200, St. Paul, MN 55103
Gender Justice provides legal representation for transgender and other clients relative to employment discrimination, health care, and other necessities.

Outfront Minnesota (GLBT Youth)
(612) 822-0127 or 1-800-800-0350
310 E. 38th St., Suite 209, Minneapolis, MN 55409
Provides advocacy, assistance, and referrals to help guide youth through the legal process.

LGBTQ+ Clinic (Volunteer Lawyers Network)
Walk-in or make an appointment.
Free clinics held on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month from 2-4 pm and the 3rd Saturday of the month at Family Tree Clinic (1619 Dayton Ave. #205, St. Paul). Providing 15-20 minutes of legal advice on name and gender marker changes, plus general legal advice and referrals.

HOME Line (Tenant Hotline)
Call: (612) 728-5767 or (866) 866-3546; Email an attorney
Statewide tenant’s rights organization that provides free legal advice to renters in Minnesota.
Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans
Assistance throughout Minnesota to positively motivated veterans and their families who are homeless or experiencing other life crises.
Minnesota Multi Housing Association (MHA)
Landlord/tenant hotline: (952) 858-8222
Landlord/tenant hotline provides pre-recorded information on security deposits, leases, giving notice, discrimination and other topics related to rental statutes and rights.
Minnesota Home Ownership Center
(651) 659-9336 or 1-866-462-6466
Home help services in Minnesota including first-time home buyer assistance, foreclosure process assistance and home mortgage assistance.
Immigration and Refugee Helpline
(651) 287-3715
Attorneys are available by phone Tuesdays from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. for people seeking legal help with immigration issues. Service is available in English, Spanish, or Somali.
Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
1-800-223-1368 or (651) 641-1011
Free brief legal advice and full legal representation to immigrants and refugees in Minnesota who qualify for services.
The Advocates for Human Rights
(612) 341-9845
330 Second Avenue South, Suite 800, Minneapolis, MN 55401
Legal services for low-income asylum seekers and immigrant detainees
Immigration Pathways to Freedom, Standpoint
1-800-313-2666 or (612) 343-9842; Text Line: (612) 743-7397
Direct services, support and representation to victims seeking U and T Visas, Removal of the Condition of Residency, Legal Permanent Residency, Violence Against Women Act Self-Petition and Citizenship, among other petitions.
Center for New Americans - University of MN Law School
Federal Immigration Litigation Clinic, Detainee Rights Clinic, & Immigration and Human Rights Clinic
The education and outreach program educates noncitizens about their legal rights. For more information, call 612-625-5000.
United Cambodian Association of Minnesota
(651) 222-3299
1385 Mendota Heights Rd Suite 500, Mendota Heights, MN 55120
Bilingual and bicultural legal and immigration assistance to low-income refugees and immigrants living in Minnesota.
Estate & Elder Law Services (Volunteers of America)
(612) 676-6300
Attorneys assist clients with wills, trusts, estate planning, probate, powers of attorney, health care directives, guardianship, conservatorship, special needs trusts, Medical Assistance planning, and real estate matters. All individuals are eligible to receive services at private-pay rates and those with disabilities or age 60 and older may qualify to receive services at subsidized rates based on monthly income and asset level.
Senior LinkAge Line
Free statewide telephone information and assistance service on Medicare, prescription drug expense assistance, health insurance counseling, forms assistance, long-term care insurance and planning, caregiver planning and support, and grandparents raising children.
Upper Midwest Pension Rights Project
1-866-783-5021 or (651) 641-8612
Regional pension counseling project to provide free legal counseling services to individuals with retirement and pension plan issues.

Washington County Veterans Service Office
(651) 430-6895
The Washington County Veterans Service Office has locations in Cottage Grove, Forest Lake, and Stillwater.

Veterans Legal Services
Statewide assistance through Central Minnesota Legal Services
Minneapolis (612) 332-8151; St. Cloud (320) 253-0138
Services to veterans on civil (non-criminal) legal matters such as consumer debt, family, housing, and benefits. Ask for veterans legal services when calling.

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
(888) 838-7727
Provides assistance to unrepresented veterans or their family members who have filed appeals at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. 

Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans
Assistance throughout Minnesota to positively motivated veterans and their families who are homeless or experiencing other life crises.

LinkVet Support
24-7 support from the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA) for Minnesota Veterans and their families.

Minnesota Department of Human Rights Mediation Program
(651) 539-1111 or 1-800-657-3704
No cost and voluntary alternative dispute resolution process by which the parties attempt to settle their discrimination disputes with the help of a trained mediator. Mediation takes place before the Department begins an investigation into allegations of discrimination and before a probable cause finding is made. 

Legal Corps
(612) 206-0780
Free legal help to low-income owners of small businesses and small nonprofit organizations in Minnesota.
Wills for Heroes
Call (612) 672-3493 for information about Minnesota programs and clinics. 
Free wills and other estate planning documents to first responders and their spouse or domestic partner.
Farmer's Legal Action Group (FLAG)
(651) 223-5400 or 1-877-860-4349
6 West 5th Street, Suite 650, St. Paul, MN 55102-1404
Legal services and support to family farmers and their communities.
Agricultural Worker Project
Statewide help through Southern MN Regional Legal Services
1-888-575-2954 or (651) 894-6854
Staff attorneys provide statewide legal representation, advice and referrals to low-income migrant farm workers. Services available in English and Spanish.
Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners (LAMP)
(651) 695-7672
Civil (non-criminal) and family law services to those incarcerated in MN correctional facilities.
Debtor Lawsuit Answering Service (Volunteer Lawyers Network)
(612) 752-6677
Advice and assistance for debtors who have been sued and those wondering about filing bankruptcy.

Twin Cities Christian Legal Aid
(612) 927-3104
First Covenant Church, 810 S. 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55415
Free civil (non-criminal) legal assistance to qualified individuals at ministry locations around the Twin Cities.

Springboard for the Arts
St. Paul: (651) 292-4381, 262 University Avenue West, St. Paul, MN 55103
Fergus Falls: (218) 998-4037, 201 West Lincoln Ave, Fergus Falls, MN 56537
Legal advice for low income persons who need help with business organization, contracts, artist tax audits, copyright and trademark infringement, artist immigration, music royalties, and leasing and buying property.

Insurance Law Clinic - University of MN Law School
(612) 625-9375
Free legal assistance to persons facing insurance denials for all types of insurance claims (auto, homeowners, accident, etc.).
Minnesota Federal Public Defender
(612) 664-5858
United States Courthouse: 300 South Fourth Street, Room 107, Minneapolis, MN 55415
Federal Pro Se Project - Federal Bar Association Minnesota Chapter
Collaboration between the Minnesota District Court and the Minnesota Chapter of the Federal Bar Association to help provide civil pro se litigants with an opportunity to have a meaningful consultation with a volunteer lawyer. Parties may be referred to the program by letter from court after filing a civil case in the District of Minnesota.
US Bankruptcy Courts
Bankruptcy Advice Clinics held bi-weekly at the Minneapolis and St. Paul Federal Courthouses. For more information about these clinics, visit their website or contact the Volunteer Lawyers Network at (612) 752-6677.
Representing Yourself - U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
Pro Se Civil Guidebook, forms, federal rules and more.

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
(888) 838-7727
Provides assistance to unrepresented veterans or their family members who have filed appeals at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. 

back to top