Unemployment Appeals Legal Advice Clinic
Unemployment Appeal Legal Advice Clinic
- Telephone clinic. 2nd Thursday of the month* - 1:00pm-3:00pm. The phone clinic involves a 30-minute consultation with an attorney over the phone. The attorney will call the clinic customer at a set time
- In-person clinic. 4th Thursday of the month* - 1:00pm-4:00pm. The clinic will be held at the Minnesota State Law Library, located inside the Minnesota Judicial Center in St. Paul. People who attend the in-person clinic will meet with an attorney for 30 minutes to discuss the merits of their case. Next, they will meet with a law student or librarian for 15 minutes to review the appeal forms.
- Call for an appointment: You must make an appointment through the Minnesota State Law Library in order to attend either unemploymnent clinic. Please call 651-297-7651.
- This brief advice clinic is for people representing themselves who have been denied unemployment benefits and have exhausted their appeal options with the Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED).
- This means you have already had a hearing with the Unemployment Law Judge and have also requested a reconsideration and it has been denied.
- BEFORE you file an appeal with the Minnesota Court of Appeals, you can attend the clinic and get advice about how to proceed.
- Please be aware that the clinic attorney will need to review the initial decision and order denying reconsideration from the Unemployment Law Judge. Details on how to provide this will be given when you make your appointment.
- The clinic attorney is not obligated to represent you in your case.
- IMPORTANT: Making an appointment for the clinic does not extend your time to appeal.
Useful Minnesota Statutes:
Forms to file an unemployment appeal: Filing an Unemployment Appeal
This clinic is a joint initiative of the Minnesota State Law Library and the Labor and Employment Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association. Clinic attorneys are volunteers and are not endorsed or approved by the Minnesota Judicial Branch.
*Clinic dates may vary due to holidays.