Contests and Charitable Gambling
Statutes and Rules: (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
Resources: (Print resources are available at the Minnesota State Law Library and in county law libraries around the state.)
- Charitable Gambling in Minnesota, from the Minnesota House of Representatives Research Department
- Resources on Minnesota Issues: Gambling, from the Legislative Reference Library
- "Silent Auctions and Raffles" in Understanding & Advising Nonprofit Organizations. (Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2001) Retired Collection KF1388.Z9 U5 2001.
- "Sweepstakes and Contests: the Do's and Don'ts in the New Media and 'Old School'," in Advertising Law & Strategy (Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2011) KF1614.Z9 A38 2011.
- Sweepstakes Prizes, from the Minnesota Attorney General's Office. (How to avoid frauds.)
- "Valid Promotion or Illegal Gambling? How to Keep Your Client's Business Promotions Legal" in Gambling Law: a Minnesota Practitioner's Guide. (Minnesota Institute of Legal Education, 1995) Retired Collection KF3992.Z9 G35 1995.
DISCLAIMER: As librarians and not lawyers, we can suggest resources but cannot give legal advice (such as which form to file), or legal opinions, (such as how a statute might apply to particular facts.) To do so could be considered the unauthorized practice of law. Even though we try to suggest materials that will be of help, further research is usually required to find a complete and correct answer. For many questions, the best answer may be to consult an attorney. For links to resources on finding an attorney click here.