skip to content
Primary navigation
  • A

    Administrative /Agencies:

    • Volunteer Lawyers' Network (VLN). (612) 752-6677. Provides assistance to clients with hearings in the Minneapolis or Saint Paul offices of the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH), but client may reside anywhere in the state.

    African Americans:  

    • Minneapolis Urban League. (612) 302-3100. Our mission is to provide human services and advocacy that will enable African Americans and other minority group members residing in the greater Minneapolis Metropolitan Area to cultivate and develop their individual and group potential on a par with all other Minnesotans.


    • Farmers' Legal Action Group. (651) 223-5400. Farmers' Legal Action Group, Inc. (FLAG) is a nonprofit law center dedicated to providing legal services to family farmers and their rural communities in order to help keep family farmers on the land.
    • Minnesota Family Farm Law Project - Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services. 1-888-575-2954. The Minnesota Family Farm Law Project serves clients in Blue Earth, Brown, Carver, Cottonwood, Dakota, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Jackson, LeSueur, Martin, McLeod, Mower, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Olmsted, Pipestone, Ramsey, Redwood, Rice, Rock, Scott, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Washington, Watonwan, and Winona counties.  

    Arts & Entertainment:

    • Springboard for the Arts.  (651) 292-4381. Springboard for the Arts is an economic and community development organization for artists and by artists. 
    Back to top
  • B

    Bankruptcy and Debt:  

    Business Law

    • LegalCORPS. (612) 206-0780. LegalCORPS provides free assistance in non-litigation business law matters to low-income owners of small businesses,  small nonprofit organizations and low-income innovators in Minnesota — through the services of volunteer attorneys.
    Back to top
  • C

    Children and Youth:

    • Children's Law Center of Minnesota. (651) 644-4438. CLC is appointed by the court to provide legal representation to children who are either wards of the state - "legal orphans" - or have been removed from their homes because they are in need of protection. CLC also represents foster children who request help. CLC provides this quality representation free of charge.
    • Minnesota State Law Library Minors Legal Topic Guide.
    • Youth Law Clinic at Youth Link, 41 North 12th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55403. Mondays 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. (612) 252-1200.

    Conciliation (Small Claims) Court:

    • Ramsey County Housing or Conciliation Court Self-Help Center. Tuesdays, 1:00-4:00 p.m. Ramsey County Courthouse Law Library, 15 Kellogg Blvd. W., St. Paul, 18th Floor, No Appointments Made. Sign in starts at 12:30 p.m. (651) 266-8391.
    • Volunteer Lawyers' Network Conciliation Court Legal Advice Clinic. Minneapolis City Hall, 350 South Fifth Street, Room 312, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Tuesdays 9 - 11am and 1 - 3 pm; Thursdays 9 - 11 am and 1 - 3 pm, 612-752-6666.


    • Better Business Bureau of Minnesota and North Dakota. File and manage complaints online. Phone: (651) 699-1111, Fax: (651) 699-7665, Toll Free: 800-646-6222, E-mail:
    • Office of the Minnesota Attorney General. (651) 296-3353, toll-free 1-800-657-3787, TDD: (612) 297-7206. Investigates potential violations of consumer protection laws. Enforces consumer laws including fraud and false advertising. Racial profiling complaints.
    • Park Avenue Foundation/Volunteer Lawyers' Network Walk-in Legal Clinic. Thursdays 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. (except holidays.)


    • Battered Women's Legal Advocacy Project. BWLAP staff attorneys answer legal questions for anyone who calls or e-mails the organization. Phone: (612) 343-9842 or Toll-Free: 1-800-313-2666. Citizens' Council Victim Services.
    • Crime Victim Justice Unit (Minnesota Office of Justice Programs). (651) 201-7310 or 1-800-247-0390. Dial 2-1-1 or 800-543-7709 for 24-hour information or referral services. Advise crime victims of their rights and monitor the enforcement of those rights. Investigate complaints of victims who believe they have been treated unfairly in the criminal justice system.
    • Minnesota State Law Library Crime Victims Legal Topics Guide.
    • Resources for People Experiencing Violence. Ramsey County.
    • Sexual Violence Center
    • Tubman Family Alliance - Crisis Line 24-hour hot line: (612) 825-0000. Shelter for battered women and their children. Services include advocacy, information and referral to community resources, legal assistance in obtaining Orders for Protection, support groups and safety planning.
    • Women's Advocates Inc. (651) 227-8284. Court advocate in family court to assist battered women in the shelter in getting Orders for Protection, etc.

    Criminal Defense:

    • Criminal Defense Services, Inc. For low-income criminal defendants in Ramsey County who do not qualify for a public defender. Limited to those charged with petty misdemeanors, misdemeanors, gross misdemeanors, or certain low-level felony offenses.
    • Federal Public Defender. (612) 664-5858, 300 S. 4th St. Ste 107, Minneapolis, MN  55415-2282.
    • Innocence Project of Minnesota. (651) 523-3152. Requests for Innocence Project of Minnesota's legal and investigative assistance must be in writing. MAILING ADDRESS: Innocence Project of Minnesota, 1600 Utica Avenue, Ste. 140 St. Louis Park, MN 55416.
    • Legal Rights Center. (612) 337-0030. Represents, without charge, low-income people and people of color who have legal problems associated with the juvenile justice, criminal justice, and child welfare systems.
    • Minnesota Public Defenders (612) 349-2565. Handles criminal defense appeals for indigent people.
    • Neighborhood Justice Center (NJC). (651) 222-4703. A community law office dedicated to providing comprehensive criminal defense services for low income persons, emphasizing outreach to communities of color. The agency focuses its work in St. Paul, Minnesota, and the surrounding East Metro area.

    Criminal Expungement:

    Back to top
  • D


    • Debtor Help Resources. United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Minnesota. 
    • Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS). 1-888-575-2954. Staff and volunteer attorneys provide full representation, brief legal services, advice and referrals on issues with credit and creditors, insurance, defective goods, loans, consumer contracts, letters to creditors, and garnishment. On staff translators for Hmong, Khmer, Lao, Russian, Somali, and Thai. 
    • Volunteer Lawyers' Network (VLN). (612)752-6677. VLN volunteer lawyers provide legal services in most types of civil issues, such as housing, bankruptcy, family, criminal expungement and debt collection. Services range from advice from an attorney over the phone to representation in court.


    • Disability Minnesota. This website provides a single entry point to over 100 Minnesota state agency programs, products, and services that are devoted to the range of disability issues. It also provides access to laws, statutes, and regulations in pertinent disability-related areas.
    • Minnesota Disability Law Center. (651) 222-3749 (Twin Cities metro area), 1-800-292-4150 (Greater Minnesota), (612) 332-4668 (TDD). Provides specialized legal information for people with developmental and physical disabilities.
    • PACER Center: Parent Advocacy Coalition for Education Rights. (952) 838-9000, TTY: (952) 838-0190, Toll-free in Greater Minnesota: 1-800-537-2237.

    Dispute Resolution:

    • Dispute Resolution Center. Dispute Resolution Center promotes the constructive resolution of conflict through open communication and shared decision-making.


    Domestic Abuse, see also Stalking

    • Alexandra House, Anoka County. Hotline: (763) 780-2330 or General calls: (763) 576-9999. Provides legal advocacy for survivors. Free monthly family law clinics. 
    • Cornerstone. Hotline: (952) 884-0330 or General calls: (952) 884-3576. 
    • Day One. Crisis Line: Call: 1 (866) 223-1111; Text: (612) 399-997. This is a statewide network of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, and youth- and community- advocacy programs accessible by a single call or text.
    • Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS). 1-888-575-2954. If you need help with a protection order, divorce, custody matter, or Indian Child Welfare Act case, we may be able to help. Our family law work focuses on preserving stability for children and protecting victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking.
    • Standpoint: Attorneys and advocates against domestic and sexual violence. (800) 313-2666 or (612) 343-9842. Providing statewide assistance, including direct representation, legal information, training, litigation support and expert support to domestic and sexual violence victims. Formerly the Battered Women's Legal Advocacy Project (BWLAP). 
    • Tubman Center. (612) 871-0118. Volunteer attorneys provide free legal representation to low-income individuals with family law cases in Hennepin, Washington or Ramsey counties.
    • Civil Society. 1-888-7-SAFE-24 (1-888-772-3324). Providing legal services to victims of human trafficking, sexual trafficking, sexual assault, and abuse. 


    Back to top
  • E

    Elder Law: See Seniors


    • Unemployment Appeal Legal Advice Clinic. (651) 297-7651. Call for an appointment.   
      • Telephone clinic. 2nd Thursday of the month - 1:00pm-3:00pm. The phone clinic involves a 30 minute consultation with an attorney over the phone. The attorney will call the clinic customer at a set time. 
      • In-person clinic. 4th Thursday of the month - 1:00pm-4:00pm. The clinic will be held at the Minnesota State Law Library, located inside the Minnesota Judicial Center in St. Paul. People who attend the in-person clinic will meet with an attorney for 20-30 minutes to discuss the merits of their case.
    • Minnesota State Law Library Employment Legal Topics Guide.
    • Park Avenue Foundation/Volunteer Lawyers' Network Walk-in Legal Clinic. Thursdays 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. (except holidays.)
    • Volunteer Lawyers' Network Clinics. At VLN clinics, volunteer attorneys provide free legal advice for about 15-30 minutes. Clients remain responsible for carrying out the attorney's advice. To get the best advice possible, a copy of all relevant paperwork, agreements, letters, court documents, etc., should be brought to the clinic. In rare occasions, clinics are cancelled without notice.
    • Volunteer Lawyers' Employment Law Phone Advice. (612) 752-6677. Phone advice on most employment law related questions. Attorneys cannot answer questions relating to claims of discrimination or workers’ compensation.
    Eviction Expungement: 
    Back to top
  • G

    Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender:

    • Trans/Queer Legal Clinic (Volunteer Lawyers Network).  Free clinics held on the third Tuesday of each month from 5:30-7:30 pm at the Exchange (3405 Chicago Ave. S., Minneapolis) and the fourth Monday of each month from 2-4 pm at Family Tree Clinic (1619 Dayton Ave. #205, St. Paul).  Walk-in or make an appointment.
    • Lambda Justice Center. (612) 379-2383. Preventive legal education, referrals and workplace diversity training, for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual people.
    Back to top
  • H


    • Minnesota AIDS Project. Legal assistance for HIV-related legal matters including estate planning, discrimination, social security, immigration, and employment-related concerns, 612-341-2060, AIDSLine 612-373-2437. 
    • Cancer Legal Line. The information provided is focused on the resources and law in Minnesota. Attorney referral service: (651) 472-5599.
    • SMRLS and Children's Minnesota Health Care-Legal Partnership. Legal assistance for Children's Minnesota patients and their families on a variety of legal issues, including housing, public benefits, immigration, and family law. Services range from brief legal guidance to full representation in court. 

    Hmong and Lao:

    • Hmong American Partnership. (651) 495-9160. Providing social services to Hmong families in the Twin Cities area.
    • Neighborhood Justice Center. (651) 222-4703. Legal representation by staff lawyers for juvenile and criminal offenses. Bilingual staff is available (Spanish/English and Hmong/English.)

    Housing: (see also: Landlord Tenant)

    Human Rights:

    Back to top
  • I



    • LegalCORPS. Inventor Assistance Program, contact LegalCORPS at or at (612) 278-6348. Inventor applicants must be Minnesota residents or operate a business in Minnesota.
    Back to top
  • L



    • Casa de Esperanza. (651) 646-5553. Linea de crisis 24-horas: (651) 772-1611 Nuestra misión es movilizar a las Latinas y a las communidades latinas para erradicar la violencia doméstica.
    • Comunidades Latinas Unidas en Servicio (CLUES). (612) 746-3500 or (651) 379-4200. Provides help for victims/survivors of sexual harassment, incest, sexual abuse, rape and their families. Services include: Bilingual counseling, Legal advocacy, Emergency post-assault hospital, education.
    • La Red de Abogados/Voluntarios. (651) 379-4223.

    Lawyer Referrals:

    • Call For Justice.  Connects low-income people to existing legal resources, in partnership with United Way 211 and others.
    • Dakota County Attorney Referral. (952) 431-3200. Attorney referral listing to provide names of attorneys, including those who have a sliding fee scale, to clients who can afford one.
    • Hennepin County Bar Association. (612) 752-6666. Lawyers' referral and information line.
    • Christian Legal Society of Minnesota, (612) 292-1721. CLS of Minnesota supports Twin Cities Christian Legal Aid, a nonprofit corporation, whose mission it is to serve the poor, disabled and homeless by offering legal advice, assistance and referrals to Christian and other agencies to help individuals and their families become free of legal entanglements and become reconciled to God.
    • Minnesota State Bar Association. 1-800-292-4152.
    • Ramsey County Bar Association. (651) 224-1775. Provides referrals to attorneys in Ramsey County. Screens attorney to assure they are licensed and have met the referral service's standards. The Ramsey County Bar Association offers a modest fee service for people who are low income but don't qualify for legal aid.
    • Washington County Attorney Referral Service. (952) 351-7172. Provides attorney representation to individuals with problems in family law, housing, grandparent rights and consumer matters.
    • Twin Cities Christian Legal Aid (612) 927-3104 and email address:
    • Washington County Attorney Referral Service. (952) 351-7172. Provides attorney representation to individuals with problems in family law, housing, grandparent rights and consumer matters.

    Legal Assistance:

    • Brian Coyle Community Center Legal Clinic. 420 15th Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55454. (612) 338-5282..
    • Legal Access Point Clinic. Skyway Level, Hennepin County Government Center, 300 Sixth Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55487. Also Brookdale Courthouse. (612) 752-6666.
    • Legal Advice Clinics, of the Fourth District (Hennepin County) Courts.
    • Legal Assistance of Dakota County, Ltd., 15025 Glazier Ave. Suite 201 Apple Valley, MN 55124. (952) 431-3200.
    • Legal Assistance of Olmsted County, 507-287-2036. Family law, housing law, and domestic violence assistance for residents of Olmstead Count.
    • Lyndale Neighborhood Clinic. Lyndale Neighborhood Community Center. 3537 Nicollet Avenue South, Minneapolis MN 55408. Attorneys provide general legal advice to Lyndale neighborhood residents in 20-minute time slots. (612) 824-9402.
    • Minnesota Legal Aid Offices Directory. Search page.
    • Mitchell Hamline Clinical Program, (651) 290-6351.
    • Mitchell Hamline Self-Help Clinic. (651) 695-7609; Email:
    • Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services. St. Paul Telephone Intake: (651) 222-4731 (Ramsey, Washington, Dakota, Carver and Scott Counties); St. Paul Seniors Intake: (651) 224-7301 (includes Ramsey, Washington, Dakota, Carver and Scott Counties); Rural Counties Toll Free Telephone Intake: 1-888-575-2954 (or 1-507-377-7401) (includes: Blue Earth, Brown, Cottonwood, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Jackson, Le Sueur, Martin, McLeod, Mower, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Olmsted, Pipestone, Redwood, Rice, Rock, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, and Winona Counties).
    • Twin Cities Christian Legal Aid. Twin Cities Christian Legal Aid ("TCCLA") seeks to serve the poor, disabled and homeless by offering legal advice, limited assistance and spiritual counsel as well as referrals to Christian and other agencies in order to help individuals and their families become free of legal entanglements and become reconciled with God.
    • Walk-In Clinics and Other Legal Help Clinics, listed by
    • University of Minnesota Civil Practice Clinic. (612) 625-5515. Legal assistance for non-criminal problems. Divorce cases accepted.
    • University of Saint Thomas Law School Clinics. (651) 962-4960.
    • Volunteer Attorney Program, 218-723-4005, Civil legal assistance for Aitkin, Carlton, Cass, Cook, Crow Wing, Itasca, Kanabec, Lake, Pine, and St. Louis Counties. 
    • Volunteer Lawyers Network Clinics.
    Back to top
  • P


    • Legal Assistance to MN Prisoners (LAMP). (651) 290-8651. Provide legal assistance to inmates of Minnesota State Prisons at Stillwater, St Cloud, Lino Lakes, Shakopee, Oak Park Heights, Willow River, Faribault, Moose Lake, Red Wing and Rush City.
    • Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners (LAMP), 651-290-6413. Civil legal services for people in prison or recently released from prison
    • Reentry Clinic, 651-290-6413. Civil legal services for women recently released from prison or nearing the end of their incarceration.

    Public Benefits:

    • Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS). 1-888-575-2954. If you have been denied government benefits, or if you have had your grant reduced or terminated, we may be able to help. Please call if you don't understand the reason for the action or if you believe the action was wrong.
    • Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid. Mid-MN Legal Aid serves Minnesotans in the 20 counties of central Minnesota, including Hennepin, from offices in Minneapolis, St. Cloud and Willmar. We serve seniors in the additional counties of Anoka, Cass, Crow Wing, Kanabec, Pine and Wadena counties. And we offer statewide services to people with disabilities on issues associated with disabilities.
    Back to top
  • M


    • Migrant Legal Services. (651) 291-2837 or 800-652-9733. Provides civil legal information and services to migrant workers.

    Municipal Law:

    • League of Minnesota Cities. (651) 281-1200 and Toll-free number: (800) 925-1122. The League of Minnesota Cities is committed to Cities building quality communities through excellence in governance, management and services to citizens.
    • City Information and Complaints Office. (651) 266-8989. The complaint department serving St. Paul residents.
    Back to top
  • N

    Native Americans:

    • Anishinabe Legal Services, 1-800-422-1335 or (218) 335-2223. Civil legal assistance to low-income individuals living on or near the Leech Lake, Red Lake, and White Earth Reservations.
    • Band Member Legal Aid, 320-532-7798. Civil legal assistance and criminal defense assistance to Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe members 
    • Indian Child Welfare Law Center. (612) 879-9165 and toll-free 1-866-879-0123. Legal services that handle matters falling under the Indian Child Welfare Act.
    • Indian Legal Assistance Program. 107 West First Street, Duluth, MN 55802. (218) 727-2881 or 1-888-249-3205.
    • Minneapolis American Indian Center. (612) 879-1700. Provides services that is essential and appropriate to meet the needs of Indian families experiencing difficulties with the social welfare system. On-line case management system to coordinate child protection cases between tribal and urban service providers.
    • Minnesota American Indian Bar Association's Resource List.
    • Southern MN Regional Legal Services and East Side American Indian Outreach office. (651) 771-4455. Low income persons in Ramsey, Washington, Dakota, Scott, and Carver counties.


    • LegalCORPS. LegalCORPS provides free assistance in non-litigation business law matters to low-income owners of small businesses, small nonprofit organizations and low-income innovators in Minnesota, through the services of volunteer attorneys. Metro Phone: (612) 206-0780, Toll-free: 1-888-454-5267.
    Back to top
  • S


    • Estate Planning for Seniors. Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLs). To participate, you must be income eligible and have an appointment.  Call 1-888-575-2954 for more information and to see if you are eligible, or apply online
    • Legal Advocacy for Older Americans. (612) 332-1441.
    • Legal Clinic for Seniors with Real Estate Related Issues. First Wednesday of every month, 10:30 a.m. 2600 Denzie Terrace, Saint Anthony, MN 55418. (612) 781-5096. Sponsored by Northeast Senior Services, Inc.
    • Legal Services for Senior Citizens of Anoka County. (763) 689-2849. Legal representation or advice in civil matters such as: medical assistance, medicare, supplemental health insurance, nursing home rights, Social Security Retirement.
    • Minnesota State Law Library Elder Law/Senior Law Legal Topic Guide.
    • Park Avenue Foundation/Volunteer Lawyers' Network Walk-in Legal Clinic. Thursdays 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. (except holidays.)
    • Volunteers of America of Minnesota. (612) 676-6300.
    • Senior Law Projects (St. Paul). (651) 224-7301. Provides free legal representation and advice to low income and other needy elderly. Case priorities for representation focus on problems that affect low-income elderly.
    • Senior LinkAge Line, from the Minnesota Board on Aging. A free telephone information and assistance service, which makes it easy for older adults and their families to find community services. 1-800-333-2433, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays, and messages can be left after hours, 24 hours a day. TDD/TTY users call the Minnesota Relay Service at 7-1-1. 
    • University of St. Thomas Law School, Legal Services Clinic, Elder Law Practice Group. (651) 962-4960.
    • Upper Midwest Pension Rights Project. Toll Free Number: 1-866-783-5021; MN Residents: (651) 251-5765; Email:
    • Volunteers of America - Estate and Elder Law, Assists clients with wills, trusts, estate planning, probate, powers of attorney, health care directives, guardianship, conservatorship, special needs trusts, Medical Assistance planning, and real estate matters. 

    Small Business:

    • LegalCORPS. LegalCORPS provides free assistance in non-litigation business law matters to low-income owners of small businesses, small nonprofit organizations and low-income innovators in Minnesota, through the services of volunteer attorneys. Metro Phone: (612) 752-6678, Toll-free: 1-888-454-5267.


    Southeast Asians:

    • Southeast Asian Refugee Community Home (SEARCH). (612) 673-9388. Pro-bono legal advocacy - Asian juvenile delinquency prevention and intervention. Crime prevention training, translation/interpretation in court - Court preparation and victim's services.


    Back to top
  • T


    Back to top
  • V



    • Vietnamese Social Services. (651) 641-8904. Information on health, social services, employment, welfare, housing and other resources available in the Twin Cities.
    Back to top
back to top