Statutes: (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
- Ban the Box Overview for Private Employers, from the Minnesota Department of Human Rights.
- Criminal Background Check Statutes: An Overview, from the Research Department, Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Criminal Background Checks Overview, from the Minnesota Department of Human Rights.
- Employment Background Checks: A Jobseeker's Guide
- How can I obtain a copy of my criminal record?, (FBI) from the National Criminal Justice Reference Service.
- Laws Affecting Employment of Persons with Felony Convictions, from the Minnesota State Law Library.
- Minnesota Public Criminal History, from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety
- Minnesota Criminal History Record Search FAQ, from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety
- Navigating the Maze of Criminal Records Retrieval, from LLRX.
- Running Background Checks on Job Applicants, from Nolo
- Volunteer Background Checks: Giving Back Without Giving Up on Privacy
Related Topics: Collateral Consequences of Felony Conviction; Expungement; Pardons.
DISCLAIMER : As librarians and not lawyers, we can suggest resources but cannot give legal advice (such as which form to file), or legal opinions, (such as how a statute might apply to particular facts.) To do so could be considered the unauthorized practice of law. Even though we try to suggest materials that will be of help, further research is usually required to find a complete and correct answer. For many questions, the best answer may be to consult an attorney. For links to resources on finding an attorney click here.