skip to content
Primary navigation

Steele County Legal Referrals

Legal assistance, resources & information for Steele County

Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
1-877-MY-MN-LAW (1-877-696-6529)
Free legal help to low-income and senior citizen clients for civil (non-criminal) legal problems including family law, government benefits, housing, probate, tax, and other matters.

Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN)
(612) 752-6677 (intake by phone available Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
Statewide legal services available for low-income people through a network of legal clinics and volunteer attorneys. Spanish legal services available. Assistance can range from brief advice to screening for full representation depending on income level, county of residence, legal issue, and merits of the case.
Clinic assistance is available for family, civil, housing, immigration, criminal expungement, bankruptcy, LGBTQ+, and youth legal issues. Visit VLN's website for a current clinic schedule.
Phone legal assistance is also available in the following areas:
  • Administrative Law (DHS disqualifications)
  • Bankruptcy (Chapter 7, Adversary Proceedings, Student loan hardship discharge)
  • Civil (Consumer, Debtor-Creditor)
  • Employment
  • Family
  • Landlord-tenant
  • Real Estate
  • Immigration
  • Tax (State and Federal, once legal aid has declined to assist)

Minnesota Courts Self-Help Centers
Forms, videos and other information for individuals representing themselves in court. 

Legal Advice Clinics
Directory of legal clinics and Self-Help Centers across the state.
Website providing Minnesotans with legal information and resources on a variety of civil (non-criminal) legal topics and helping connect individuals to legal aid and assistance. Live online chat help service available. 

Steele County Law Library
In the Steele County Courthouse: 111 East Main Street, Owatonna, MN 55060
Law library providing access to Westlaw and Minnesota legal practice guides

Steele County Courthouse
(507) 686-7012
111 East Main Street, Owatonna, MN 55060

Minnesota State Law Library
(651) 297-7651
Get help finding legal information
Room G25, Minnesota Judicial Center, 25 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55155
Our librarians can help you find legal information, court forms, and other materials by phone, email, or in person. In addition, we offer two clinics for those working on appeals: General Appeals Self-Help Clinic - held on the 3rd Thursday of the month.  This is a brief advice clinic for people who are representing themselves. There is no income-qualification required for attendance. Unemployment Appeal Legal Advice Clinic - service for people who have already had a hearing with the Unemployment Law Judge and have also requested reconsideration and it has been denied. You can attend the clinic to get advice about how to proceed with an appeal to the Court of Appeals. Clinics held on the 2nd Thursday of the month and 4th Thursday of the month. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please visit our website.  

Justice Buses
Justice Buses are mobile legal aid offices that will travel to rural areas, bringing with them the ability to meet in person or obtain legal information so clients can stay close to home.

Legal Kiosk Project
The Minnesota Legal Services Coalition has legal kiosks in community locations throughout the state to provide access to legal aid services to individuals without access to wifi or technology. The kiosks offer the public the ability to apply for civil legal aid services, access legal resources, and in some cases, attend remote court hearings in privacy. Anyone can use the computer at one of these legal kiosks free of charge.
To find a legal kiosk available for remote court hearings, choose the option for "locations that have privacy" on the kiosk location map.

Minnesota Unbundled Law Project
Directory of attorneys offering unbundled legal services (also known as limited scope legal services) that are customizable for your needs and budget. Practice areas include family; business; employment; real estate; benefits; housing; wills, trusts, and elder law; consumer protection and debt; and more. For more information about unbundled legal services, visit their FAQ.

Community Mediation Minnesota
Providing mediation and restorative justice resources to help resolve disputes involving neighbors, families, businesses, consumers, crime victims, landlords, tenants, or other matters. 

Minnesota State Bar Association Lawyer Referral
Free online lawyer search and referral service. 

Minnesota Lawyer Referral and Information Service (MNLRIS)
(612) 752-6699
MNLRIS connects persons with legal issues to one of over 200 qualified private attorneys practicing in over 50 areas of law. Referral counselors are available who can set up appointments with attorneys, provide general information about the legal process, and direct people to appropriate legal resources. MNLRIS is sponsored by the Hennepin and Ramsey County Bar Associations.

Minnesota Lawyer Referral and Information Service (MNLRIS) Reduced Fee Program
(612) 752-6699
The Reduced Fee Program provides full representation for a reduced fee to clients for most legal issues. Eligible clients are financially over-income for free legal services, but cannot afford the traditional fees of private attorneys. A private attorney is one that you pay to represent you. A referral Counselor helps you determine if you qualify for this service. Attorneys are located in the Twin City metro area.

Minnesota Legal Advice Online (MLAO)
Volunteer attorneys answer legal questions via email for individuals who meet income qualifications. 

United Way 211
Dial 2-1-1
Operators available 24/7 to provide targeted referrals to legal services and resources. 

Public Defender - Third Judicial District (Owatonna Office)
(507) 455-5887
135 West Main Street, Suite E, Owatonna, MN 55060
Legal services by court appointment for low-income people who are involved in criminal and juvenile delinquency cases.

Sealing Criminal Records to Enhance Justice
If you have a criminal record for an offense that was prosecuted in state court, prosecutors from the Attorney General's Office may be able to help you determine if you qualify for expungement. If you qualify, the Attorney General's Office may be able to help you get your record sealed by the Court at no cost to you.

Minnesota Disability Law Center
1-800-292-4150 or (612) 332-4668 (TTY)
Free civil (non-criminal) legal assistance to individuals with disabilities statewide on legal issues related to their disabilities.
Disability Hub MN
A free statewide information, referral and assistance service available to help people with disabilities, chronic illnesses and their representatives connect to community services.

Center for Excellence in Supported Decision Making
Guardianship Information Line: 1-844-333-1748
Statewide resource offering free in-depth telephone consultation, referrals, information and assistance for families, individuals, and professionals regarding individuals at risk for guardianship/conservatorship. Virtual Guardianship Clinic - social workers and attorneys are available to talk about less restrictive alternatives to guardianship on the first Wednesday of every month from 12-2 pm. No appointments are needed, but please complete a registration form to help with planning.

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
Information: 1-888-NAMI-Helps (1-888-626-4435); Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: call or text 988
Education, advocacy, support, and referrals for people with mental illness and their families.

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
Call or text 988
The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline is a national network of local crisis centers providing 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you and your loved ones. Call or text 988 for crisis assistance. Assistance is also available in Spanish.

Rainbow Health
(612) 373-2437
Rainbow Health's Legal Services provide legal advice, brief services, and direct representation for HIV–related legal matters.

Cancer Legal Care
(651) 917-9000
3503 High Point Drive, Suite 270, Oakdale, MN 55128
Cancer Legal Care provides caring and compassionate legal services at no cost to Minnesotans affected by cancer.

Violence Free Minnesota (formerly Minnesota Coalition for Battered Women)
24-Hour Phone Line: (866) 223-1111
24-hour hotline for victims of domestic abuse throughout Minnesota helps connect individuals to resources and services available to them.

Standpoint (Formerly Battered Women's Legal Advocacy Project)
1-800-313-2666 or (612) 343-9842; Text Line: (612) 743-7397
Statewide program serving domestic and sexual violence survivors, their advocates, attorneys and other professionals working within the justice system in Minnesota.

Steele County Human Services - Minnesota Prairie County Alliance
(507) 431-5600
630 Florence Ave, Owatonna, MN 55060

Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) Law Center
(612) 879-9165
Legal representation to parents, family members, Indian custodians and children, who are involved in legal matters governed by the ICWA.

Children's Law Center of Minnesota
(651) 644-4438
450 N. Syndicate St, Suite 315, St. Paul, MN 55104
Free advocacy and legal representation for foster care youth in Minnesota.

Youth Law Project
(612) 334-5970
The Project works with children/youth from birth to age 24 anywhere in Minnesota. Legal assistance (no criminal) for low income youth who are abused, neglected, experiencing or are at risk of homelessness or sexual exploitation, or have questions about safety, minor consent, access education, public benefits, obtaining government identification, or any other civil legal issues.

School Law Center
(651) 222-6288
Statewide Legal representation for individual students, their families and groups of students and/or families or agencies serving students and their families in all areas of education law.
Office of Ombudsperson for Families
(651) 539-1257 or 1-888-234-4939
1450 Energy Drive, Suite 106, St. Paul, Minnesota 55108
Assistance with child protection matters, social service issues, and failure to comply with the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) or the Minnesota Indian Family Preservation Act (MIFPA).

Eviction Prevention Expansion Project
(507) 292-0080
Providing legal services to tenants in Dodge, Mower, Steele, and Winona Counties when court resumes eviction hearings and a pre-filing diversion project. Call (507) 292-0080 for more information.

HOME Line (Tenant Hotline)
Call: (612) 728-5767 or (866) 866-3546; Email an attorney
Statewide tenant’s rights organization that provides free legal advice to renters in Minnesota.

Small Business Landlord Brief Legal Advice Clinic - LegalCORPS
Speak with a housing law attorney to ask questions or receive some general guidance. To be eligible, landlords must be at or below 300% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for the size of their household. This clinic provides brief advice; full representation is not available. The clinic takes place on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month between 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. To make an appointment, email Program Coordinator Sarah Lewis at or call (651) 583-5980.

Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans
Assistance throughout Minnesota to veterans and their families who are homeless or experiencing other life crises.
Minnesota Multi Housing Association (MHA)
(952) 854-8500
Supporting the multi-housing industry through advocacy, information, education, and innovation. Submit your question regarding rental property management here.
Minnesota Homeownership Center
(651) 659-9336 or 1-866-462-6466
Home help services in Minnesota including first-time home buyer assistance, foreclosure process assistance and home mortgage assistance.
Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
1-800-223-1368 or (651) 641-1011
Free brief legal advice and full legal representation to immigrants and refugees in Minnesota who qualify for services.
The Advocates for Human Rights
(612) 341-9845
330 Second Avenue South, Suite 800, Minneapolis, MN 55401
Legal services for low-income asylum seekers and immigrant detainees
Immigration Program, Standpoint
1-800-313-2666 or (612) 343-9842; Text Line: (612) 743-7397
Direct services, support and representation to victims seeking U and T Visas, Removal of the Condition of Residency, Legal Permanent Residency, Violence Against Women Act Self-Petition and Citizenship, among other petitions.
Center for New Americans - University of MN Law School
Federal Immigration Litigation Clinic, Detainee Rights Clinic, & Immigration and Human Rights Clinic
The education and outreach program educates noncitizens about their legal rights. For more information, call 612-625-5515.
United Cambodian Association of Minnesota
(651) 222-3299
1385 Mendota Heights Rd Suite 500, Mendota Heights, MN 55120
Bilingual and bicultural legal and immigration assistance to low-income refugees and immigrants living in Minnesota.
Estate & Elder Law Services (Volunteers of America)
(612) 676-6300
Attorneys assist clients with wills, trusts, estate planning, probate, powers of attorney, health care directives, guardianship, conservatorship, special needs trusts, Medical Assistance planning, and real estate matters. All individuals are eligible to receive services at private-pay rates and those with disabilities or age 60 and older may qualify to receive services at subsidized rates based on monthly income and asset level.

Minnesota Elder Justice Center
(651) 440-9300
Providing information and resources statewide to older and/or vulnerable adults and their loved ones around issues of abuse, neglect and financial exploitation. Services include obtaining protective orders, incapacity and safety planning, limited legal representation, and referrals. To get more information, please call (651) 440-9312 to speak to an advocate or use the contact form.

Senior LinkAge Line
Free statewide telephone information and assistance service on Medicare, prescription drug expense assistance, health insurance counseling, forms assistance, long-term care insurance and planning, caregiver planning and support, and grandparents raising children.
Trellis Pension and Retirement Rights (formerly Upper Midwest Pension Rights Project)
1-866-783-5021 or (651) 251-5765
Regional provider of free legal counseling services to individuals with retirement and pension plan issues.

Steele County Veteran Services
(507) 444-7460
Steele County Administration Building, 630 Florence Ave, Owatonna, MN 55060

Veterans Legal Services
Statewide assistance through Central Minnesota Legal Services
Minneapolis (612) 332-8151; St. Cloud (320) 253-0138
Services to veterans on civil (non-criminal) legal matters such as consumer debt, family, housing, and benefits. Ask for veterans legal services when calling.

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
(888) 838-7727
Provides assistance to unrepresented veterans or their family members who have filed appeals at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. 

Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans
Assistance throughout Minnesota to veterans and their families who are homeless or experiencing other life crises.

LinkVet Support
24-7 support from the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA) for Minnesota Veterans and their families.

Minnesota Department of Human Rights Mediation Program
(651) 539-1100 or 1-800-657-3704
No cost and voluntary alternative dispute resolution process by which the parties attempt to settle their discrimination disputes with the help of a trained mediator. Mediation takes place before the Department begins an investigation into allegations of discrimination and before a probable cause finding is made. 

Legal Corps
(612) 206-0780
Free legal help to low-income owners of small businesses and small nonprofit organizations in Minnesota.
Wills for Heroes
Call (612) 672-8349 for information about Minnesota programs and clinics. 
Free wills and other estate planning documents to first responders and their spouse or domestic partner.
Farmer's Legal Action Group (FLAG)
(651) 223-5400 or 1-877-860-4349
6 West 5th Street, Suite 650, St. Paul, MN 55102-1404
Legal services and support to family farmers and their communities.
Agricultural Worker Project
Statewide help through Southern MN Regional Legal Services
1-800-652-9733 or Text/WhatsApp: (507) 475-0804
Staff attorneys provide statewide legal representation, advice and referrals to low-income agricultural workers. Services available in English and Spanish; interpreters available in other languages.
Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners (LAMP)
(651) 695-7672
Civil (non-criminal) and family law services to those incarcerated in MN correctional facilities.
Debtor Lawsuit Answering Service (Volunteer Lawyers Network)
(612) 752-6677
Advice and assistance for debtors who have been sued and those wondering about filing bankruptcy.

Minnesota Lawyers for the Arts - Springboard for the Arts
Legal advice for low income artists and creatives who need help with business organization, contracts, artist tax audits, copyright and trademark infringement, artist immigration, music royalties, and leasing and buying property. Complete the intake form to see if you are eligible for services. For assistance, email or call (651) 294-0907. 

Insurance Law Clinic - University of MN Law School
(612) 625-5515
Free legal assistance to persons facing insurance denials for all types of insurance claims (auto, homeowners, accident, etc.).

Gender Justice
(651) 789-2090
Gender Justice provides legal representation for transgender and other clients relative to employment discrimination, health care, and other necessities.

Minnesota Federal Public Defender
(612) 664-5858
United States Courthouse: 300 South Fourth Street, Room 107, Minneapolis, MN 55415
Federal Pro Se Project - Federal Bar Association Minnesota Chapter
Collaboration between the Minnesota District Court and the Minnesota Chapter of the Federal Bar Association to help provide civil pro se litigants with an opportunity to have a meaningful consultation with a volunteer lawyer. Parties may be referred to the program by letter from court after filing a civil case in the District of Minnesota.
US Bankruptcy Courts
Bankruptcy Advice Clinics held bi-weekly at the Minneapolis and St. Paul Federal Courthouses. For more information about these clinics, visit their website or contact the Volunteer Lawyers Network at (612) 752-6677.
Representing Yourself - U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
Pro Se Civil Guidebook, forms, federal rules and more.

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
(888) 838-7727
Provides assistance to unrepresented veterans or their family members who have filed appeals at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. 

back to top