skip to content
Primary navigation


Ask MNCDHH: Available Services for People with Age-Related Hearing Loss

You ask, we answer

1/16/2019 10:07:55 AM

Icons of 4 senior citizens, all facing the audience and smiling. Above their heads is the following text,

Question: How do we access your services for assessment for our elderly mom?

Answer: Thanks for your question! The Minnesota Commission of the Deaf, DeafBlind & Hard of Hearing (MNCDHH) does not provide any direct services to the community. We have a different role, which is to advocate for policy changes and improvements in systems. This includes healthy aging by recognizing the importance of age-related hearing loss as a public health issue. You can learn more about that by visiting our Hearing Loss Matters website and by watching the documentary film by the same name, which MNCDHH co-produced along with TPT Twin Cities PBS. 

Depending on the type of service you are referring to, you might be interested in contacting the Telephone Equipment Distribution program (TED), which is a part of the Department of Human Services' Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Division (DHHSD). Depending on income, they can offer equipment like captioned phones or amplified phones to provide access to phone communication for people who are deaf, deafblind, or hard of hearing.

If you are looking for other types of services, we would recommend you contact the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services division office in your region. They offer information referral to the appropriate state or private organization for support.

age-related hearing loss

ask mncdhh

back to top