skip to content
Primary navigation

Controlled Substance Researcher

Please read the following laws and rules regarding controlled substance researchers.

  • MN Statute 152.12, Subdivision 3 “Research project use of controlled substances. Any qualified person may use controlled substances in the course of a bona fide research project but cannot administer or dispense such drugs to human beings unless such drugs are prescribed, dispensed and administered by a person lawfully authorized to do so. Every person who engages in research involving the use of such substances shall apply annually for registration by the state Board of Pharmacy provided that such registration shall not be required if the person is covered by and has complied with federal laws covering such research projects”. Based on discussions with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Board determined that researchers are not required to register with the Board. You should refer to DEA regulations and contact them with any questions. 
  • MN Administrative Rule 6800.4400

New Applicant

Click here for a Controlled Substance Researcher application.


Renewal forms are emailed to the address that the Board of Pharmacy has on record. Renewals are due May 1 of each year.
back to top