Technician Registration (New)
Pharmacy Technician Application
All individuals performing the duties of a pharmacy technician in the state of Minnesota must have an active registration.
Minimum Requirements for Registration
The following are the minimum requirements for a Minnesota Board of Pharmacy technician registration (MN Rule 6800.3850 Subp.1).
- Minimum Age Requirement: Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of registration.
- Education Requirements: Before your application can be approved, proof of high school graduation must be submitted to the Board.
Proof of high school graduation must be received either:
1. After you pay online. You may email or fax in your document to the Board’s email.
2. With a mailed in paper application and payment.
We accept the following documents as proof of high school graduation:
If your name has been changed and is not reflected on your high school document, please include the name that you applied under with your submission.
1. High School Diploma
2. High School Transcript with Graduation Date
3. GED Certificate
4. College Transcript
5. College Diploma
- Pharmacy Technician Training Requirement: Training must be completed within 12 months from the date you receive your technician registration number, not from the date you became employed. Prior work experience as a pharmacy technician does not waive or substitute for this requirement. Additional information about technician training can be found here.
- CE Requirements: Pharmacy technicians will need to complete a minimum of 20 hours of approved technician continuing education (CE) every two years. Click here for more information on continuing education.
How do I apply?
You can apply by any one of the options below:
Note: All applications and fees are non-refundable.
- If you do not have an account and you want to apply online: click here.
- If you already have an account: log on here.
- To mail in an application and payment: click here for the application.
- If you have ever been charged with violating any state or federal law related to drugs or alcohol, or if you have ever been disciplined by any health licensing Board: click here for the application.
If you are currently registered as a pharmacy intern, it is not necessary to register as a technician.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have applied to be a technician, but I have not heard anything from the Board.
Before contacting the Board, make sure to check the following:
Where do I send high school and training documents?
- Is the registration number already issued?
Check to see if you have already been provided a registration number by using the pharmacy technician license verification page to search for your registration. Search using your first and last name. If your name is on the listed in search results, you can also log back on to the online licensing system and you should see it under the section titled “Manage your license Information” when you login to your account.
- Have you submitted your payment?
If you log in to your account, there should not be an outstanding balance on your account.
- Have you submitted your proof of completing high school or equivalent?
If you log in to your account, there should not be a high school requirement listed as incomplete.
The Board’s contact information can be found at the bottom of each webpage
. You can email, fax, or mail your documentation to the Board.
Do I have to be registered to work as a pharmacy technician in Minnesota?
Yes. Technician registration is a state mandated program for pharmacy technicians working in Minnesota. You have to apply for a registration number with the state and renew your registration each year. The state also has requirements that you have to meet to maintain your registration. You must complete a minimum of 20 hours of continuing education every two years and complete a state-approved Technician Training program within 12 months after you are initially registered.
How do I apply for a Pharmacy Technician Intern?
The Board only registers individuals as pharmacy technicians. You will need to apply as a pharmacy technician.
I am a certified pharmacy technician, does this meet the training requirement?
No. A Board-approved pharmacy technician training
program and a pharmacy technician certification
program are not considered equivalent. Pharmacy technician certification programs (e.g., PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) or ExCPT (Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians) do not
fulfill the pharmacy technician training requirement. Furthermore, while some employers do require their technicians to become certified, the Board of Pharmacy does not require pharmacy technicians to be certified.
What if I have previous pharmacy technician training experience, do I still need to complete a training program?
Yes. While previous work experience as a pharmacy technician is helpful, it does not waive or substitute for the completion of a Board-approved training program requirement. Click here for additional information
Can I transfer my registration from another state?
No, you will need to register as a new technician in the state of Minnesota.
How often do I need to renew my registration?
Pharmacy technicians are required to renew their registration before December 1st of each year. Your registration expires on December 31st of each year.
Does my registration number stay the same with each renewal?
Your registration number stays with you as long as your registration stays current, even if you work at a different pharmacy than when you initially registered.
When can I expect to hear back from the Board/How do I know the Board has my application?
You will receive an email from the Board within 5 business days with either your approval and registration number, or a request for additional information.