skip to content
Primary navigation

Change from a taxpaying employer to a reimbursing employer


  • Only governmental agencies and nonprofit 501 (c)(3) corporations are eligible to change from taxpaying to reimbursing. All changes must be completed by November 30 to be effective the following year.
  • You cannot change your status if there is any debt on your account. For instructions on how to see if you have any debt on your account, see Review Account Balance

To change from a taxpaying employer to a reimbursing employer:

  1. Log in to your account at
  2. On My Home Page, click Account Maintenance.
  3. Click Change Taxpaying to Reimbursing. The Change Taxpaying to Reimbursing page displays the advantages and disadvantages of both the Taxpaying Method and the Reimbursing Method.
  4. Review the information.
  5. Click Next.

    The Change of Business Status-Taxpaying to Reimbursing page opens. An amount due (based on previous benefits paid charges and taxes paid) or a credit that can be applied to future benefits paid charges will display. If an amount is due, it must be paid before the election to become a reimbursing employer can occur.

  6. Click Submit.

If your newly registered Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Employer Account has been set up as taxpaying you have 30 days from the date of registration to change your election to reimbursing. All elections to change coverage from taxpaying to reimbursing cannot be canceled for at least two calendar years.

back to top