skip to content
Primary navigation

Housing Support

blue house with red door Response to the COVID-19 pandemic may create instability for those facing housing hardships. It’s critical that Minnesotans have access to the resources and programs available to help them remain safely in their homes during this time.

  • Housing Discrimination & Eviction Protections. The State of Minnesota is here to help you maintain stable housing. Resources are available to you from the Department of Human Rights if you are a tenant or homeowner in Minnesota and are facing hardship due to COVID-19.
  • Housing Assistance. Minnesota Housing is the state’s housing finance agency. For more than 40 years, we’ve worked to provide access to safe, decent and affordable housing and to build stronger communities across the state.
  • Housing Assistance and Resources from the Department of Human Services.

Suspending evictions during COVID-19

To protect the health and well-being of Minnesotans during the pandemic, the Governor signed an order to suspend evictions. However, rent is not reduced or waived during this time. Once the suspension has ended, owners can file for evictions and removals can be enforced. Not paying rent on time can impact credit or cause problems that impact future housing options. Here are resources that offer more information:

  • More information on the Executive Order. This Frequently Asked Questions document provides more information about the order that suspended evictions. (Also available in Spanish, Hmong, and Somali).
  • Emergency Assistance. If you are a renter and need emergency assistance, talk to your landlord. You can also contact your county's human services agency, United Way, Community Action Agency, or the Department of Human Services.
  • Legal assistance. If you're a renter, you can get legal help on a wide range of issues, including repairs, evictions, security deposits, landlord invasion of privacy, and more. Call HOME Line's hotline at 612-728-5767.
  • If you receive an eviction notice. If you receive an eviction notice during peacetime emergency, you may contact the Attorney General's office to submit a complaint.
  • Homeowners. If you’re a homeowner experiencing difficult making on-time mortgage payments, there may be options for you. Information is available on the Consumer Financial Bureau’s website.


Utility payments may also be eligible under emergency assistance funding above. Many telephones, internet, and cell providers signed the "Keep America Connected Pledge" and are not disconnecting services or are offering special payment plans. Many providers are also opening public hotspots and offering free Wi-Fi for students and low-income families.

  • Comcast. Comcast is opening its Xfinity Wi-Fi Network nationally for free, connecting low-income families to free internet to support them with distance learning during school closures.
  • The Energy Assistance Program (EAP). This program helps pay for home heating costs and furnace repairs for income-qualified households. Learn how to apply to your local Energy Assistance provider through June 1.
back to top