skip to content
Primary navigation

Deductions from benefits

Withholding from benefit payments

Income taxes

Unemployment benefits are taxable income under federal and Minnesota state law. Request, stop, or change your income tax withholding by logging in to your account online at or by calling the automated phone system.

No later than January 31, an IRS Form 1099-G will be mailed to your last known address, showing the total benefits paid to you during the prior year and the federal and state income taxes withheld. You can view and print your 1099-G form online by logging in to your account at


If you were overpaid unemployment benefits in Minnesota or another state that you have not repaid, we will deduct either 50 or 100 percent of each weekly benefit payment and apply it to the balance you owe.

Child support

If you are required to pay child support in Minnesota or any other state, child support payments will be deducted from your weekly benefit amount and sent to the county child support agency. If you believe that too much child support is being deducted, contact the child support agency that is enforcing the support order.

back to top