Winter 2020/21 Advertising Campaign
Winter marketing efforts looked a little different this year due to the pandemic and subsequent Dial Back, Minnesota restrictions on travel and hospitality businesses. Still, Explore Minnesota began promoting safer outdoor activities with our Winter Recreation niche campaign on Dec. 14 in Minnesota only. The winter season is always a special time in Minnesota, and our campaign strived to merchandise appealing wintry visuals on the campaign landing page. Digital and social ads will be served to consumers who are passionate about a winter sport.
In January, we will introduce an updated winter Find Your True North TV spot, “ Time to Recharge,” which depicts safe, socially-distanced winter activities, along with additional winter assets, including digital banner ads, emails, paid social posts and select print advertising in the Spokesman Recorder and La Prensa. Due to current concerns about COVID-19 incidence rates, these winter campaigns will only target Minnesota residents.
Minnesota will still be top-of-mind in surrounding states this January, however, as we launch a transitional :30 spot, “ Worth the Wait,” which encourages people to start dreaming of summer travel and promises that Minnesota is worth the wait. This spot will run on cable, OTT and CTV in Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Omaha, and northern Illinois (excluding Chicago) and be supported with digital banners ads and paid social through Feb. 28.
Other winter efforts include:
- Winter Minnesota Explorer (inserted into the Star Tribune on Nov. 15)
- MN Slopes partnership with the Minnesota Ski Areas Association, featuring Gear Junkie collaboration
- Gopher Sports partnership (National Signing Day sponsorship, 100 Year of hockey sponsorship, new player video social series)
- Find Your True North lotto ticket; in inter-agency collaboration with MN Lottery
- Curated an updated listicle of 7 things to do in Minnesota this winter
- Developed new heated patio content to fulfill rising consumer interest in the topic and support hospitality/restaurant businesses
- Introduced new article content to meet increased demand for socially distanced outdoor recreational pursuits
- #OnlyinMN monument photo op at Winter Carnival’s Drive-thru Ice & Snow Sculpture Park