skip to content
Primary navigation

About Your License

Annual Renewal

The Minnesota Board of Examiners for Nursing Home Administrators (BENHA) issues licenses annually for the year running from July 1 to June 30. To remain continuously licensed you must meet continuing education requirements and renew your license annually by June 30.  Licensees can renew online each year from May 1 to June 30. Renewals received after June 30 are considered late and are subject to a late fee.  Annual CEU requirements are 20 hours for all licensees who have renewed before. New licensee (individuals who have received their license after July 1 and before June 30) will have a prorated amount of CEU hours and are able to begin acquiring CE hours beginning the issue date of their license.

Display of License

Any licensee serving as the administrator of a Minnesota nursing home is required to display their license in a conspicuous place in the facility visible to residents and visitors. Others may keep their licenses in any safe, easily accessible place. 

Duplicate License for Second Facility (Shared Administrator)

Licensees who serve as administrators for two facilities must obtain a second (duplicate) license from the board so that they can display their license at both facilities that they administer.
Contact the BENHA office to report the shared site as permanent or interim and complete a Shared Administrator Questionnaire 
Report a Change of Facility - Log in to your account and navigate to the Administrator of Record section of the Profile tab to add your second site 
Order a Duplicate Certificate - Log in to your account and select Online Services from the menu in the upper right of the account screen - the $10 fee can be paid by credit or debit card

Duplicate License for Lost/Destroyed License or Name Change

Any licensee who loses, destroys or damages their license (or has a name change requiring a new license) may obtain a duplicate license for a fee of $10 and a notarized statement concerning the disposition of their earlier issued license. For a name change, a copy of the legal document (marriage certificate, divorce degree, court order) showing pre and post names is required.  If you have ordered a license certificate or have renewed and your certificate has not arrived, please contact the board office by email to arrange for a new copy. 
Report a name change by submitting the Name Change Form and fee by mail.

Licensure Information Furnished To Other States (Verification for Current and Past Licensees)

A Minnesota licensee seeking licensure in another state will generally need to have BENHA furnish the other state information about his/her license in Minnesota when it was first granted, what qualifications were met, NAB exam scores, whether discipline has ever been imposed, etc. BENHA will provide this information, authenticated with the official seal of the board as is usually required by other states, for a $30 fee. Licensees requesting this service should visit the Verify a License Page on our website to process the request using a credit or debit card. Licensees who have been expired for more than 5 years must mail their request and check (payable to MN-BENHA) with a note naming the state to which the Minnesota verification is to be sent.

Primary source verification to another state or licensing jurisdiction is a paid service. Licensees who simply need to search for their credentials (perhaps to verify a successful renewal or date of initial licensure, or to verify status for their employer) may also do so online by clicking Licensee Search on the Verify a License Page.  

back to top