skip to content

About Your License

Annual Renewal

The Minnesota Board of Examiners for Nursing Home Administrators (BENHA) issues licenses annually for the year running from July 1 to June 30. To remain continuously licensed you must meet continuing education requirements and renew your license annually by June 30.

Display of License

Any licensee serving as the administrator of a Minnesota nursing home is required to display their license in a conspicuous place in the facility visible to residents and visitors. Others may keep their licenses in any safe, easily accessible place.

Duplicate License for Second Facility

Licensees who serve as administrators for two facilities must obtain a second (duplicate) license from the board so that they can display their license at both facilities that they administer. There is a $10 fee.

Request a second certificate

Duplicate License for Lost/Destroyed License or Name Change

Any licensee who loses, destroys or damages their license (or has a name change requiring a new license) may obtain a duplicate license for a fee of $10 and a notarized statement concerning the disposition of their earlier issued license. For a name change, a copy of the legal document (marriage certificate, divorce degree, court order) showing pre and post names is required.

Name Change Form

Licensure Information Furnished To Other States (Current and Past Licensees)

A Minnesota licensee seeking licensure in another state will generally need to have BENHA furnish the other state information about his/her license in Minnesota when it was first granted, what qualifications were met, NAB exam scores, whether discipline has ever been imposed, etc. BENHA will provide this information, authenticated with the official seal of the board as is usually required by other states, for a $30 fee. Licensees requesting this service should visit the Verify a License Page on our website to process the request using a credit or debit card. Licensees who have been expired for more than 5 years must mail their request and check (payable to MN-BENHA) with a note naming the state to which the Minnesota verification is to be sent.

Primary source verification to another state or licensing jurisdiction is a paid service. Licensees who simply need to search for their credentials (perhaps to verify a successful renewal or date of initial licensure, or to verify status for their employer) may also do so online by clicking Licensee Search on the Verify a License Page.  

back to top