skip to content
Primary navigation

Public Health Nurse Registration

A registered nurse licensed in Minnesota may obtain from the Board of Nursing registration as a public health nurse after meeting requirements stated in Minnesota Rules Chapter 6316.

Registration is voluntary. A registered nurse may practice as a public health nurse without being registered by the Board. However, no person may use any abbreviation such as PHN or other designation such as the title public health nurse unless the person is registered by the Board.

Requirements to obtain Public Health Nurse Registration

The registered nurse applicant must

  • be licensed and currently registered in Minnesota,
  • have a baccalaureate or higher degree with a major in nursing,
  • have completed course work which included theory and clinical practice in public health nursing (Details are available in MN Rule part 6316.0100 subpart 4), and
  • submit an application, affidavit of graduation and public health nurse education and $30.00 fee.
    • The application and fee may be submitted by mail or online by logging in to your account under Online Services. To submit an application online, after logging in select Submit an Application for Licensure and Public Health Nurse as the Type.

Validity of Public Health Nurse Registration

The public health nurse registration is valid only when the registered nurse has a current Minnesota registered nurse license.

If the nurse's license is revoked or the registration expired, the public health nurse registration becomes invalid. Whenever the license is reissued or the registration is renewed, the public health nurse registration automatically becomes active.

Replacement of a Public Health Nurse Registration

A public health nurse may obtain replacement of a public health nurse registration document by sending to the Board of Nursing

  • a written request explaining why a replacement is needed, and
  • the $20.00 fee.

If the public health nurse had a change of name, the nurse must follow the procedures found in the Change of Name or Address section.

A replacement document is not issued because of a change of address.


back to top